Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Transporting a 36' Luhrs convertible

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by Justrollin, Aug 31, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Justrollin

Justrollin New Member

Has anyone shipped a 2000 36ft Luhrs convertible by land and if so what had to be taken apart to do so.
  2. Joe McKairnes

Joe McKairnes Member

never, but I'd check into Height limitations along the route your taking - that will dictate what has to come off (tower, riggers, etc). If using a shipping company, they should be able to help. Curious why you're shipping it... cant it be run around via water?
  3. Justrollin

Justrollin New Member

The boat is located in Tampa so it would have to go south around Miami then north to NY cost of fuel and captain might be much more than shipping over land
  4. Joe McKairnes

Joe McKairnes Member

I get it. Bought mine in NC and ran it up to home in NJ - I was the captain. I will say, its a fantastic trip and great way to get to know the boat! Also, there is a cut-through you can take in the north part of FL to get to the east coast.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Our new ride came from near St. Petersburg. We hired a delivery captain to move it south to Ft. Myers for engine work, and as it turned out we needed to do some other work while there, too.

Then we brought it up to Maryland ourselves via the Okeechobee Waterway from Ft. Myers to Stuart... and then the AICW. 18 days underway, plus 2 lay days for weather. Our pace was somewhere in between "delivery" and sightseeing/vacation. Could have been faster if we'd opted for some outside trip segments (weather permitting) and if we'd run faster over longer days.

It can be a decent vacation trip spread over time, if you can arrange it that way. Move the boat from one airport town to another, leave it there for a while, resume the trip later, repeat as necessary.

To your original question, the bridge will almost certainly have to come off to truck it; that's the way Luhrs Group delivered many boats inland and to the west coast. I've read it's not rocket science; mostly just needs attention to wiring detail. I know a guy with serious Luhrs Group experience who preps at one end and puts things back together at the destination end, so you can PM for that info if you want.

-Chris
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

But what wonderful cruising you could enjoy, whether all in one trip or broken down into several. Then your only added costs are the costs of going back and forth to the boat if you leave it somewhere along the way.
  7. Rich Plukas

Rich Plukas New Member

I looked into it a couple years ago and came to the conclusion it just wasn't worth the risk of dismantling part or all of the flybridge and the price for special permits so I drove mine from Manitowac, WI to Rochester, NY. Incredible trip and no better way to get to know your boat if you have the time and inclination. Took 14 days to do it but made lifetime memories.
    If you choose not to do that I would highly recommend the delivery captain route versus tearing her apart- although if Chris knows someone with experience I would certainly consult with them.
    Whatever you choose- best of luck and let us all know how it goes.