Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Transporting 90 Carver 3807

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Blown, Mar 18, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Blown

Blown New Member

Looked all over the forum and can't get a definitive answer.

I'm trying to get a solid quote on moving this boat almost 1200 miles. Obviously moving a boat of this size over the road is somewhat problematic because of the fly bridge height.
    Carver spec's show a bridge clearance of 13.1, and 15.4 with the optional radar arch.
    None of the transporting companies seem to have knowledge of transporting this boat. I'm not sure if they are just trying to add cost later because of a clearance issue over the road:confused:

Man, if anyone could enlighten me on this I would be very grateful.
  2. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

3. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

The entire hardtop, radar arch, fly bridge, and helm including seating needs to come completely off that model. That is how they ship them from the factory and that is how we have shipped several of them.

The boat shows that 15' height above the waterline, its more like 22-24' from the hull bottom to the arch.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

RD480 is right about that. You may have serious problems transporting that boat. You'll may have to strip it down to the hull, and you'll still have to deal with the "wide-load" restrictions and costs. This is from California:

LEGAL TRUCKS

Height: Truck height is limited to 14 feet. For more information, see the web page "Height & Low Clearance" at: Height and Low Clearances.

Width: Truck width is iimited to 8.5 feet. For more information, see the web page "Vehicle Widths" at: Vehicle Widths.

Length - Single Unit: The basic length limit for all single unit vehicles is 40 feet; however, length exceptions are given for buses and motorhomes up to 45 feet on certain routes (see the Caltrans websites 45-Foot Buses and 45-Foot Motorhomes).

Length - Combinations: Combination vehicles coupled together, such as a truck tractor and semi-trailer, or a truck tractor, semi-trailer and trailer, are limited to 65 feet, or 75 feet, or may be unlimited depending on the route. In addition, legal trucks in California must not exceed a kingpin-to-rear-axle (KPRA) length of 40 feet. Truck lengths are illustrated on this web page: "Truck Map Legend": http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/truckmap/truck-legend.pdf. Truck lengths and routes are discussed in more detail in the Caltrans web page: Truck Size & Routes.

Weight: The maximum overall weight limit is 80,000 pounds. The CVC also specifies maximum axle weight limits as well. Generally, the maximum allowable weights are 20,000 pounds on single axles and 34,000 pounds on tandem axles equipped with the proper tire weight capacity ratings. For weight requirements, see the web page "Weight Limitations" at: Weight Limitations.
  5. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

The boat is made to be transported, if you have a dealership anywhere near you that has sold new flybridge boats on both ends they will know exactly what to do.

The flybridge is basically screwed on all the way around the base of it and the floor of the bridge is actually the salon roof which is definitely low enough to transport. That is the exact way it left the factory in 1990.

My 370 was disassembled and assembled 3 times in its life now (one from the factory, then Chicago Boat Show in 1994, then back to the dealership for delivery, and once back to Carver for them to do some things to the boat.

Everything comes apart pretty straight forward, the only thing that posses the biggest problem is all of the electronics that people have added over the years that are definitely not installed to be removed again and again.

You say you are moving it 1200 miles. Is that inland or is it accessible by water to run the boat on its own hull? The cost of fuel will be less than having the boat hauled, disassembled and then re-assembled.
  6. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    I just moved our 3608 and did not have to disassemble more than radar arch hard top aft, windshield , rudders and props. I used a trucker out of Minnesota and he was outstanding. I paid for a route survey and trucked it oversize I had to pay for a pilot vehicle and a pole truck but still way less than full disassembly I was quoted 17 grand just to disassemble. Contact me directly and I can give you the name of the company I used.