Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Transferring private yacht experience

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by lochte18, Feb 22, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lochte18

lochte18 Guest

Hi! I'm a danish marine engineering student, looking to start my engineer career in commercial shipping and move on to the private yacht industry after gaining one or two years of experience.

I was wondering how transferable/thought after experience on private yachts is, suppose you want to move into the oil and gas industry or perhaps return to commercial shipping? I have heard rumors, saying that private yacht experience does not count for much outside the industry. Any view or past time experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You are pretty much correct with what you have heard, spend enough time in the commercial world to get as far as you can and then look at yachts, do not do it the other way around or you will find learning at a top level is so much tougher after a few years of booze fuelled parties that are what makes yachting in many folks eyes.