Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Thinking of buying sea ray 40 w Cat 3116 diesels

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Keith Wichner, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Keith Wichner

Keith Wichner New Member

Seems a little under-powered. Also the engine has bad reviews- but most of the issues stem from hard to service the fuel injectors? This one seems to be running good.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Keeping a thread short,
    Keep walking.
    If you must have an old Ray, Find one with the 3126s and every service point documented, including the inter-cooler replacement.
    If not, keep walking.
  3. Keith Wichner

Keith Wichner New Member

Thanks for the input. Seems like the 3116 was not a good Cat engine but there are a bunch still running. I did have a Diesel Mechanic test it including oil samples to the lab. Waiting for the results. He did say that he has changed the fuel injectors on this model many times and resetting the rack is not as big of a deal as they make it out to be. 4 hour job. The 3126 was the replacement model and was better and more horse but they didn't come out till around 2000 and those boats seem like they are $30-40k more. Wonder if Cummings make a replacement model for the Cat 3116 and what cost might be?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cummins does have a replacement model, and you can buy them cummins remaned from a dealer. You should also be able to buy remaned 3116's and 3126's. I haven't heard of any big trouble with the 3116's. I think the HEUI pumps go bad from time to time. But in the beginning the 3126's had WAY more problems, but ran good when they ran good, and now all of the problems have long been solved with them or exposed themselves.
  5. Keith Wichner

Keith Wichner New Member

Thank you. Thats kinda what I am picking up- engines had a lot of issues but at this point most have been rebuilt and if they are running good and maintained should be OK? Wonder what a cooling system rebuild would cost?
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

The french block 3116 failures were fairly early in their service life. I would think if there's any out there still running they have proven to be as good as any 3116. They are an older motor now and with a reputation that may be a bit undeserved.

It's all relative to price on a brokerage boat. If you are uncomfortable with 3116 history and prefer a newer model with 3126 for $30-$40K more that may be a reasonable premium to pay. Your scenario with a Cummins repower could run into the $125 -$150K range. Probably not a good choice unless it's your forever boat ...or the cost is irrelevant to you.