Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

The Amistad

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Yacht News, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The gaff rigged topsail schooner, Amistad has just arrived off the Bridgetown Port. I wouldn't call her a yacht but she is a semi-replica to the 19thcentury la Amistad, a slave ship. She came across the Atlantic and not too long arrived here in Barbados. She is supposed to be doing tours.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're so right not calling her a yacht. Wait till you see drwaings of the conditions these prople were forced to endure. It's just horrible. People packed like cordwood shoulder to shoulder, no ventilation, etc., etc. I remember seeing her come down Long Island Sound a few years ago. Having read her story a few weeks earlier, I slowed and watched her sail by in awe and reverence as I envisioned her "cargo". It's amazing what man can do to man. Do visit her. We think we've learned the lessons, but something like this really brings it home.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Thanks...

I went to photograph her this evening but to my dismay, could not find the ship.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Go to the following link and you can track her exact position, http://www.amistadamerica.org/content/view/437/194/
    If anybody has a link showing the sketches of her layout w/ "cargo" please post. It's a horrible thing to imagine, but an important one to remember.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

In NYCAP's link of you click on Day 299 it says something about a grand entrance to Bridgetown at daybreak on Friday 04 April so it should be coming back closer to you Yachtluver.
  7. Maria B

Maria B New Member

Is this the Amistad built at Mystic Seaport many years ago? Kind of a living museum really, great movie too.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Amistad is back in Mystic. The crew was up in the rigging today furling the topsail. A good show. Only had my camera phone, but got some great pics. Unfortunately I'm having trouble downloading to my computer. Will post if I figure out problem