Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno

Tennessee River

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by hat4349, May 10, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I was talking to several people last evening about boating on the Tennessee River. We all knew that it finally flows into the Ohio River and can be navigated from there. We wondered if it can be accessed on the other end, I've spent the morning researching this to no avail. I know it forms in Knoxville with the Confluence of French Broad and Holston rivers. I don't know if one would be able to navigate either of them with a yacht nor how you would access them from their starting points.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Lake Loudoun formed by the Fort Loudoun Dam is the last navigable body of water on the Tennessee. Now both the French Broad and the Holston have some nice lakes, but no locks, no way to get from one to another. The Tennessee River as we know it begins about a mile or so above Knoxville.

You can go on up the Holston a couple of miles in a shallow draft boat but then you encounter rocks. You can go on up the French Broad to the Searay docks. Shoals beyond that. So, for all practical purposes, yacht navigation ends at the confluence.
    captainwjm likes this.