Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Delta

taxes etc on registering a boat in St thomas

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by johnnry, Nov 5, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. johnnry

johnnry Member

hello all, considering registering my uscg documented vessel in st thomas as very difficult getting insurance in Puerto Rico .Its a closed market..Has anyone out there have experience with this? or perhaps knows an expediter to help,thanks!
  2. BlueNomad

BlueNomad Member

I've registered several vessels in USVI and tax has never been an issue. Insurance is something else entirely and terms are agreed with your insurer/underwriter.

Your USCG documented vessel is registered with the federal gov't and St Thomas would be your home port. Very easy to change.
  3. johnnry

johnnry Member

OK thanks, actually fot insurance in PR , so may just leave documented and not registered I guess is possible here in PR
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Most underwriters don’t look at the port shown on the doc but at where the boat is actually kept and used as shown on the insurance application and attached questionnaire.

the port list on the documentation can be pretty much anything you want it to be which is why you often see boats with landlocked “port” like Atlanta Ga.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Insurance goes by coverage area. Where it's registered I don't think has much bearing. If Puerto Rico is excluded for coverage, even registering it in St. Thomas would still exclude it from P.R. I would be asking this question to insurance agents.