Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Sunseeker Superhawk 48

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by Clive Edwards, Mar 18, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Clive Edwards

Clive Edwards New Member

Hi

I own the above boat . It’s a 2002 fi
    I am re fitting this boat and wish to renew the trim tab controls. The existing ones are broken.
    Does anyone know of an electronic operating/ monitoring system that is compatible ?
    I have also been considering swapping the existing system out for a “zip-wake” system. Does anyone
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Welcome to Yacht Forums.
    For us guys that may know but not familiar with what Sunseeker used 20 years ago, would you have a mfg and model of your equipment?

Pictures could help. Please keep pic pix under 800.
    Many of our members are from around the world on limited band width.
  3. Clive Edwards

Clive Edwards New Member

1D424DC2-51AB-40F6-AF2B-28C6359B2F56.jpeg 2538C430-F997-465C-80DA-E9B187FB56C5.jpeg 722E6113-EB60-47BE-A118-F4999C74C80C.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Those are MerCruiser HP tabs. Your Mercury dealer should be able to help.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Interesting, I thought these boats came Volvo DP powered.
    Looks like new Merc gimbals.
    Did you re-power?
  6. mapism

mapism Senior Member

What is broken exactly?
    Those trim tabs are the so-called "K-planes" from Mercury Racing, and they are typically fitted in boats even faster than yours - much faster, in fact.
    Very reliable and effective, and also simple in terms of controls, since all they require is a 1-0-1 flip switch on each side.
    My guess is that the hydraulic pump is either shot, or badly connected. Either way, it's a rather easy fix.
    As CR suggested, any Mercury dealer should be able to help.
    Even better if it's a Mercury Racing dealer, which surely has seen plenty of them.

In any case, I wouldn't even think to replace them, because trim tabs don't get any better.
    And you don't have enough space to fit wide enough interceptors, which I've yet to see in any performance boat anyway.
    BTW, K-planes also give a razor accurate visualization of their position at the helm, through a mechanical cable with no electronic sensors at all, as in most other toy trim tabs.

For the records, I'm saying this not just based on general knowledge, but also because I used to own a Fountain fitted with the very same stuff.
    And they were amazing, to the point that the only problem I had was to get used to light touches on their controls, due to how highly effective and reactive they were. The boat could actually be steered with the trim tabs alone!
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    FLCranchi34 and Capt Ralph like this.