Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Sunseeker Predator 74 vs Riva 76 Bahamas

Discussion in 'Sunseeker Yacht' started by yellowc4s, Jan 5, 2019.

1. yellowc4s

yellowc4s New Member

Sunseeker vs Riva
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

In general I'd select Riva Coupes and Sunseeker fly bridge models. However, you asked about the Riva 76 Bahamas vs. the Sunseeker Predator 74. I'm a huge Riva fan but comparing these two boats, the Predator has excellent speed, topping out at 40 knots vs. perhaps 35-36 knots on the Riva with the optional engine. Sunseeker also has a shallower draft at 6' vs. 6'6".

On the other hand the Riva is a bigger boat, a heavier boat, and based on my experience with the two brands, I'd think it may be a better riding boat in rough conditions. However, with these being new models I'd really want to ride on both before deciding.

Both boats have some very interesting features. I'm slightly more a Riva fan than a Sunseeker fan but last boat we bought was a Sunseeker.

I'd choose the Sunseeker 74 Sport Yacht over the Predator and the Riva 76 Perseo over the 76 Bahamas. That's just personal choice but if I'm going for a boat in that range to cruise, then I'd like to have the bridge.
  3. yellowc4s

yellowc4s New Member

definitely don't want a flybridge. Referring to build quality, etc
  4. olderboater

I personally rate Riva's slightly ahead of Sunseeker but as to those two specific boats, I point to my first post.

Why so opposed to a flybridge?
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have a lot of Sunseeker experience, no Riva experience. So Olderboater and I balance each other out I guess. The draft on both is a little limiting when doing the Bahamas and a few other places, but the 6' is easier to swallow. I ran a 2014 Sunseeker 75' yacht, and it did 26-27 knots cruise and I did it blowing NE at 20-25 knots and 4-6' right on the bow. The boat just ate it up and we didn't take a single ounce of spray over the rubrail. Sunseekers do tend to get the gelcoat cracks when in FL year round whereas the Riva's do not. General build quality on the Sunseekers is very good otherwise.
  6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I'm with you, I like the look of coupe or sedan, I don't like the extras systems and upkeep of the flybridge, I don't like the weight up top either, I also don't entertain on board so the extra entertaining space is not needed.
    It really comes down to looks and not needing the space. No wonder Sunseeker makes both.

Comparing the Predator to the Bahamas is easy for me, Predator from the stand point that the Bahamas is for one location. Not much fun in the rain in the open air cruising withe the Riva Bahamas. Toss in the 76' Perseo from Riva and now I have no idea which to choose.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  7. olderboater

You need to reexamine the Bahamas. You'll find it has a great solution to rain and sun. Hard top convertible for lack of a better term. Actually would be a Cabriolet in auto terms.
    gr8trn likes this.
  8. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

That beautifully designed and engineered hard top will hardly keep he rain out without heeps of canvas. I'm still out.
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Those Preds were bashed out pretty quickly as a cash-cow. Make of that what you will.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I manage a 2007 62, Predator since 2011. The boat is a great sea boat. You can access everything for maintenance pretty well, engine room laid out extremely well. It's been a reliable boat with good systems. I've manage many Sunseekers over the years, whatever Sunseeker does electrically, zincs last **** near forever on all of them, like 1.5 years.
  11. CapChristian

CapChristian New Member

The Bahamas is a really beautiful boat.
    Ever since I got the idea in my head, I can't unthink it; would a jacuzzi fit where the hardtop is located? Underneath it so to speak?
    It would be very cool with a jacuzzi there. Not sure if there's depth enough or if it would screw up the wight balance of the boat.
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

If it's a performance-ish boat of that size that you're after, I'd pick neither, and go for the real thing instead.
    OTAM 80, based on a Fabio Buzzi hull that broke several world records.
    A tad smaller interiors compared to both the S/skr and surely the Riva, in spite of being longer, but she would run rings around both, in any sea state.
    Anyhow, among those two, I'd have the Riva hands down, though I'm with olderboater in considering the Perseo even better.
    A nice problem to have, overall.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

While the OTAM has better performance, most yacht owners don't want to deal with the headaches and limited maneuverability of an Arneson boat. Or the headaches of a triple POD boat but great maneuverability.
  14. CapChristian

CapChristian New Member

I thought I'd add a picture for clarity; I'm thinking the jacuzzi could fit where the seating area is just infront of the windscreen.
    [​IMG]
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

While a Jaccuzzi could be put there, it would take massive structural change to the boat to allow for that kind of weight. You couldn't run the boat with the jacuzzi full as it would change the COG drastically and would need a massive water maker to make enough water to fill it.......it really is not a practical thing that should ever be put on a yacht this size or type.
  16. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Seem reasonable if you put 6-8 adults up there why not 4 in a hot tub? Really, I don't know, I do know folks put all sorts of things hanging off the back of their much smaller boats. Ever see a 37 foot sailboat with radar arch, davits, RIB, solar panels, windmills all hanging off the back of the boat?

You may need to define the specification of your hot tub idea. How many gallons of water at 8.33lbs or 3.778 kg per gallon?
    How are you keeping the water in there? Is that possible in the bow, no way. Closer to the center of the boat is likely better.

I think it's possible, that's a big enough boat with enough carrying capacity, but there is more to it than that for sure.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i ve never been a fan of hot tubs but after almost a year of running a boat for with one I have to say it s a nice add on. Ours is on the top deck behind the skylounge. I am not sure how much water it takes to fill it, guessing 250-300 gallons or so based on the water gauge drop while filling. That’s about 3 hours of watermaker time, no big deal

We only keep it full underway if running in calm waters like on the Exuma bank.

300 gallons is about 2400 lbs, pretty much the same as a tender and jet ski…. Our tender is on the platform and the jet ski in a transom garage.. i would not put them up there with a full hot tub

Owners and guests love the hot tub, emerald specially younger guest. some have told me they wouldn’t charter a boat without one.
  18. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I know they offer that option, but it's just targeted at folks interested in the boat for her pose value alone - of which I guess there are some.
    The hull is designed from the ground up for surface drives (4 Trimax in the original record-breaking prototype, afterward converted to twin Arnesons for the less extreme but still outstanding production boat).
    So, a triple IPS is akin to a practical joke, bound to make Buzzi spin in his grave.

That said, I agree that Arnesons demand more skills and practice.
    But together with a properly designed hull and adequate power, they make the difference between wannabe performance boats (whose actual difference with a flybridge is marginal), and truly exhilarating ones, whose capabilities are in another league.
    Horses for courses...
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree. But Arnesons aren't without their share of maintenance. Props need to be crystal clean. Ram seals will leak if trim and steering rams aren't exercised weekly. Dockside bad behavior. Etc.
  20. AGP22

AGP22 Member

I don't think the Arnesons' maintenance is that bad. After 5 years of ownership (and out of 4 years of poor storage and minimal maintenance to add to that), I am now gearing up for a bellow replacement along with shim adjustments and packings / O ring replacements as the play is causing internal oil leaks, and this seems to be normal with time and use. Other than that, a single steering cylinder is getting new seals (seals were last replaced in 2017) as we cycle them monthly when we don't use the boat. The issue of cleaning the props is quickly overcome if you don't let her sit for too long, but if you do, you can get a diver to clean them, unless you also want to pressure wash the hull. Dockside, only the fact that you need to watch carefully the stern to avoid getting the props entangled in the other boats' underwater mooring lines when close up. Manoeuvers just fine. Actually easier to live with than most people seem to think.