Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Perko

Sun Fish

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Yacht News, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

This has nothing to do with a yacht or yachting but I found it amazing. A Sun Fish was caught off Barbados very recently by one our local fishermen. It was quite a supprise to read about it in the paper because I thought that those rare fish were only thought to have existed in the Pacific Ocean. Yet we found a baby one off our North shores.

Here is a pic from the website of one of our newspapers.

bp55545.jpg

http://www.nationnews.com/
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Only Pacific-Not so. 2 summers ago I almost ran one over between Plum Island & Montauk Pt. NY. Surprised the heck out of me. Thinking they weren't around these parts I first thought it was 1/2 a fish, but it was alive. Only after contacting a nearby party boat was it confirmed to be a sunfish. Docile creature, doing what it does best. Laying around catching the sun.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

No, they are obviously covering great distances now and going into other oceans. They were initially only found in the Pacific ocean. The one they found a few days ago here off Barbados is a baby. On Discovery Channel, I have seen how ridiculously huge those fish can grow. Odd looking fish with an odd size and it makes me wonder... what other strange looking fish have we not found as yet. The oceans are so vast so more yachts should have glass bottoms. It is said that Octopus has some sort of a view bottom? not sure how large it is though.