Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

Straighten / replace rudder

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Greg Page, Dec 8, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Turns out stbd rudder is bent quite far forward. Anyone have experience having one repared, or know where might find one to replace? Are they a standard part or made just by/for Post?

Thanks - Greg
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Should be standard. Buck Algonquin. They are right over the bridge from you, Stevensville. Kind of under a new name. Not sure what it is. Check with Black Dog prop also right over the bridge...Stevensville . they might be able to work on the rudder, or a good machine shop can work on it too. Longcove Marina/Rock Hall propeller can straighten it out. they did a bronze shaft for my Matthews and it was good as new when finished.
    Deepblue yacht supply is where I get new shafts, rudders etc. The are in Florida and usually have it in stock. They carry/stock all the Buck Algonquin stuff .

I think you should get it straightened. I believe you have been buzzing all around this summer and never noticed it , till you hauled the boat for winter. Doesn't have to be perfect.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  3. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Awesome, Thanks.

Not only didn't notice anything wierd running but never noticed it during survey haul out, even taking a picture. I checked rudders for dings along edges etc but never noticed the difference between sides. Will be at yard tomorrow, have to see if can pull now (boat was "just" blocked for winter) or need to wait till spring when they can get travel lift near it again.

small 164419.jpg
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Stock rudder???
    Looks better than stock is why I'm asking.

Before and after pulling the rudder; thoroughly check the upper rudder post pillow.

Paint looks great for a backing boo-boo.
  5. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I'd guess stock? Not sure what/when PO hit something backing hard enough to bend that. Really big shark? (they caught one that filled reached from cockpit floor to hardtop I've seen picture unloading) This picture is from the survey haul-out. I had new bottom paint over the summer.

I had to check rudder mounts/packing/upper supports on my winter work list which the yard did before haul and looked fine on the inside. Was pretty surprized when noticed the bend on the outside.
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ocean , Post , Egg Harbor , Viking , Bertram, used buy out stuff.
    Buck Algonquin mostly . For rudders , struts, stuffing boxes, shafts ,sea strainers , deck chaulks , cleats etc.
    You will find that rudder in there on line catalog.
    Also at Deepblue supply.
    daydreamer4 likes this.
  7. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

What are you using for anti fouling on the shafts and wheeels? They look clean.
  8. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

The photo is prior to completing purchase. They had no anti-fouling on them at that time. I havn't seen the bottom since I had new bottom paint and running gear anti-fouling put on during the summer but will when I next go to the winter storage.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Dang, I have always heard how Post’s are flat in the stern but holy cow, flat as a pancake back there. You really see it in that picture.
  10. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I used Buck back in 02 to straighten a rudder for my Jeanneau sailboat. I will recommend him also.
  11. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I went down to the boat to get rudder dimensions and look it over. None of the anti-fouling paint that was put on the props and shafts this summer was present. Interestingly there also was no growth on them. I don't know if one or both came off when the pressure washed the boat before blocking it.
  12. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

You have the fastest Post south of the C & D canal! You left that $@!? In the bay after tearing it up all season .
    Highly doubt the yard power washed it off.
  13. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

LOL
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Paint sticks to shafts & props like rum collects dust in my drinking glass... NOT!!!!
    I would say that if any paint was left on your running gear, a pressure washer took the last off.
    How does your trim tabs look?

Fast Post cleanslate says?
    Clean bottom? Big engines? Just like to show off when people are watching? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    rtrafford likes this.
  15. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I cruise 23-24 kts at 70%, doesn't evey Post? ;)

Can't really see the tabs in todays picture.

Snip 185254.jpg
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is that primer on the shafts? Looks like paint and a couple of barnacles on the back of the port tab.

I need more HP. I'm on the pins, down hill and with the wind (& a prayer) @ 23kts.
    Maybe if I ground off all my bottom and made it flat like yours.
  17. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Post man Page probably used Sears Weather Beater Nor’easter grey on the running gear . That won’t last long .
    I should know !!
    Lol.!
  18. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

For the definative "how flat is a Post bottom" I offer this. Get out your protractor.

220853.jpg
  19. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i believe Post put larger rudders on later model 46" and 43" .
  20. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

For anyone it might help, mine is a 1989 model. I measured the current rudders and the replacement is a Buck-Algonquin/Hydrasearch Recreational 10R40SS1.5. I phoned and emailed Post to see if they can provide the specification for the keyway, but have not received a reply yet. The keyway is 3/8" wide (based on the rudder arm specs), but I don't know the distance above the rudder stem base that the keyway starts, or the "cut" length of the rudder shaft but I estimate the cut length it is about 15".

The Buck rudders with the curved top have a much different rudder upper leading edge to shaft centerline distance, so I don't know if they are the curved top rudders I have seen in other posts.

-g