Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

Steering

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by 1000 islands, Dec 13, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

I had a leak in my steering last summer and the place that repaired it used automatic transmission fluid which I found out is wrong. But that's all they had and it was a Sunday about a hundred miles from home.

When I had the fluid removed and changed to the correct product I still have some issues.

When turning the wheel it is not as easy as it originally was before the leak and it seems to "click"

I have tried turning it all the way both directions and it still is the same.

The resovior (sp) is up to level.

Any thoughts, ideas ?

BTW I can't get to the boat until spring, but thought I would get some planning now.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hard steering is a side effect of using ATF which in many case is ok according to Hynautic. That said, the best fluid to use is either Hynautic branded fluid or standard mil spec d hydraulic fluid available from aircraft part suppliers

I ve used ATF and honestly barely noticed the difference. In my old Hatt, I ve used only Hynautic fluid and have always had that clicking feel although mostly felt at th upper helm.

That said, there are many different hydraulic steering system...
  3. g36

g36 Member

what year and model carver boat do you have? its hard to help with no info. as stated above there are different systems, you might could get away with some atf in some but not others.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

What you describe as a "click" could be residual air in the lines from having the fluid changed.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is this an old Hynautic system? Or newer Hynautic/BayStar equipment? Has a reservoir with a air pressure gauge on the top with a valve stem and a tire stem looking pressure inlet (and what reading on the gauge)?
    Need a lil more info on the equipment. Why was ATF added? What other symptoms can you describe before the failure or since?
    Also, that clicking, like a sharp rachet tone, a deep tone chatter or just feel a click or two in steady wheel turning?
    What Ivy Lea (Ny, Canada, UK)?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I agree with RER. It sounds like you need to bleed the system.
  7. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

To begin with, Pascal. ATF was used because that's what leaked out, but after the leak was repaired and it was topped up with ATF the steering was almost impossible. But I was in the middle of the Trent Severn system and there was only one mechanic to be found for miles and he said there was nothing more he could do.

g36..it is a Hynautic system, on a 1989 Carver 3607 with just a flybridge helm.

RER & NYCAP123... the system and fluid has been changed to Hynautic and it has been bled at least twice.

rcrapps...see my note to Pascal re ATF. The clicking is more like a steady chatter while turning the wheel.

Ivy Lea, Ontario, Canada

Thanks
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Then if you had ATF originally and then added more ATF the type of fluid is not a factor although switching to hydraulic fluid may help. From your first post, since you said " mechanic used ATF which is wrong " I thought you had hydraulic fluid in th before.

Then it probably comes down to what was done to repair th leak.

I don't think bleeding will help. Air compresses so when you have air in the lines th steering is mushy and sometimes it takes a bit of turning to build enough pressure to move th rudders. Bleeding Hynautic is pretty simple, turn one way until it stops and then turn back the other way.

The air pressure in the reservoir only serves to push the fluid up to the helm, it shouldn't have an impact one effort
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Another possibility is too much fluid in the system, but I doubt that. If you're satisfied with the bleeding, then the next step is mechanical. Find where that chatter is coming from and start opening it up. See if something there is out of align, damaged, lose or if there's dirt in the system. The system may have been damaged from running dry. This may be a stupid question, but you did pressurize the system correct? I remember when you first wrote about the problem, believe it was summer before last. Sorry to hear you're still dealing with it. Good luck.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Or caused from the leak and repair.
    If a hose was damages and a scale of the hose hot into the system, Could be a restricted.
    You may still have a restricted hose from internal scaling.
    The repair may have included a restricted fitting.