Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Starboard Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by CroixToys, Sep 19, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

My starboard fuel gauge sort of works. The setup is like this: There is a two way momentary switch. Flip it to port to and the one fuel gauge shows the port tank level, release it goes to center and off, to starboard it shows the starboard tank level. Ok, the port level reads correctly but starboard has the needle bounce back and forth from the actual level to zero constantly.

This behavior occurs on both the flybridge and the lower helms. Soo...probably the sending unit. S/b pretty straightforwad. I'd like to get an exact match for that sending unit. Do I need to remove to get part number? Not sure how to proceed forward on this.

This is on a 1983 32' ACMY
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Shouldn't have to, in fact, from 1983 it probably isn't available now. But you need to remove it anyway. So why not now so you know what your looking for.
  3. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

Before you go removing things, a usual culprit is a loose connection on top of the tank. Check that the nut, bolt, or connector is tight where the send wire is coming off the tank.
  4. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

tommfmu is correct

Went to visit the old girl today and took the advice to just remove the blasted fuel level sending unit. In the process I discovered a rubber gasket that was worn and allowing contact where isolation was needed. I removed it and replaced it with another I had on hand. Then I noticed the wire was not proper tinned marine grade and was pretty filthy. Cleaned the ends and tested. Worked like a champ and I put it all back together. I just needed a good kick in the seat of the pants to get started. THANX!