Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

Simrad AP11

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Reel Antsy, Jul 22, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

The Auto Pilot on our 43' has worked flawlessly for the past 4 seasons. Recently it gives me error messages, no compass data, sometimes no data. It never turns off, always powers up but after a shorth time, it goes into message mode.
    I have checked power and grounds to the head unit and to the J3000 control box. I have wiggled cables trying to find an open or short. I am still looking for the fluxgate compass to check connections. It's somewhere on this boat! Long shot but since this unit is pretty obsolete, I thought someone may have a spare control head or compass or other parts I might try to swap out. I have scoured all reading information out there on just about every forum. It might be the control head or wiring or control box or compass...I really like this unit and hate the thought of having to replace it if I can fix it.
    Thanks!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The grand ole AP11 used the ole Robertson RobNet I/O system.
    A stack-able system. Just twist the same colored wires together and make it fit into the plug connector.
    s-l1600.jpg
    Follow your compass lead up to this connector. Take apart one pin at a time, clean them up, re-twist and insert with more care than before.
    WD40 makes a nice contact cleaner also. Wash down all including the board plun-in pins.
    Problem solved.

Look for any line cuts, repairs and splices made thru the years also.
    BuBa may have inserted something years ago (bad connections)..

For what it was/is, really darn good stuff.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
    Davidoc and Reel Antsy like this.
  3. Greg Page

Greg Page Senior Member

Original AP sensor unit on my 43 is under the guest room lower bunk toward the hull and forward of the holding tank.

IMG_0455-small.jpg IMG_0456-small.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  4. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thank you Captain Ralph and Greg for your help! My compass may very well be in that location. I will clean up my connections and post a follow-up. Thanks again!
    Jamie
  5. Greg Page

Greg Page Senior Member

I was surprized when I first found it as the Garmin AP sensor is nowhere near.
    Reel Antsy likes this.