Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Silver Dawn

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by KBlinebury, Aug 23, 2012.

1. KBlinebury

KBlinebury New Member

For many years now I've been trying to determine the fate of the 1940's Trumpy "Silver Dawn" which was owned by the CEO of the Edgecomb Steel Co. of Philadelphia in the 50s and 60s. Her home port was Rock Hall, Md and her captain was Preston Jacobs. She was around 60' and like all Trumpys she was elegantly beautiful.

Since I posted on a boat rescue site 5 years ago about falling in love with this boat as a child I periodically receive a bits of information from others who remembers her in her glory as I do. Captain Jacobs' son told me he had heard she had fallen in disrepair and had been donated to a university in Florida where she had been restored. Then tonight I received this copy of a 22 year old newspaper article that gives me hope that I may be getting closer to findiing her.

The Hour - Google News Archive Search

If anyone knows what happened to the Silver Dawn or The Dawn if it is one and the same I'd love to hear from you. I will share the information with all the folks that have sent me information as well. Thank you in advance. Kay
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

She was last sold in 2004, then located in Seabrook Texas and named "Carrie L". The broker's specs state that she was originally built for Fannie Brice and Billy Rose. I believe that she was built by the Annapolis Yacht Yard that was later John Trumpy and Sons. To my eye, she is a Chris Nelson design.

Attached Files:

3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Further research: Most recent documented name was "Sweet Dreams" home port Seabrook Texas. O/N 240230. Documentation expired Jan 31, 2011.

From Lloyds 1959 edition: "Silver Dawn" owned by Edgecomb Steel, Philadelphia. Designed by Nelson and Almen Inc, built by Annapolis Yacht Yard Inc. 1940. Former names: "Peggy Jean" and "Wilrose"

Kay, I have sent you the last documented owner's name and address by PM.
  4. KBlinebury

KBlinebury New Member

Sweet Dreams aka Silver Dawn

Thank you SeaEric, following the information you gave me I found that sadly Sweet Dreams sank on August 15, 2010. I've made a phone call trying to determine if she was salvaged or a total loss.
    Kay
  5. Jax Latour

Jax Latour New Member

I live down the street from Anne edgcomb who spent many trips on this yacht and would be happy to know more info on its location now... Her father was ceo of edgcomb.
  6. Optigull

Optigull New Member

Just saw your post about the “Silver Dawn”. My father kept his boat at the Rock Hall Marine Railway. ( Still owned by the same family! Elmer would remember the Silver Dawn)
    I too loved that boat in the 50’s. You guys really peaked my memory! I’ve always loved the Bay!