Click for Comfort Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Shore power and temp alerts

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Jun 18, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What are you using for remote monitoring? I was looking to monitor shore power loss as well as freezer temperature.

couple of weeks ago, the subzero double drawer freezer on the old decided to shut down for no reason. Of course it happened when the boat wasn’t used much and it took about 4 days for me to discover it. Lost about $1000 worth of meat... reset the breaker and the freezer restarted just fine

I know there are some complex systems but just installed the one below. Just $100 and easy set up. It monitors temperature (either ambient or refrigeration), power loss and water level. No subscription cost. We have a big chest freezer on the new boat which we don’t open very often so I m setting up the sensor in there

obviously you need an active internet connection that will stay up in case of a power failure, easy to use with a basic computer UPS on the modem and router.

Power Failure, Temperature, Water, Continuity Sensors with Text Message and Email Alerts, P3 Multi-Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y767HV...abc_XS1DTC5JGDJ7ZP01E9V7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  2. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Good idea, we've had pedestal breakers trip numerous times for unknown reasons.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I use this on my personal boat and it works great.
    https://sirenmarine.com
    You can buy multiple sensors for various alarms.

We have Maretron on CALYPSO, but that's a very complex and comprehensive system.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah we ll have to switch to Maretron at some point on the 116 when the Isis system get beyond repair. Or when the old Mr Isis crosses the bar

In my case I live aboard in the slip next to the office so I just needed something simple. Heck if I m home and breaker trips, I ll see the outside lights turn off /)
  5. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We have inherited Nightwatch which is pretty comprehensive. Based out of West Palm, the support is amazing. We are adding a cellular txt modem for alerts. I just added teamviewer ( simple screen sharing app) to the pc running night watch so I can see the full system from iPad at home. Works great but no alerts for that component.

I do have a dead sensor for waste tank that is mounted in a tube below the generator. Can’t remove without removing generator. So I need to put a new one in. Anyone installed a Gem Sensor? Or perhaps another solution?
    cnvsback likes this.
  6. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

We use a company called Smartsense to monitor power and temperatures. They have cellular or wifi modules available.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What material is the tank made of?
  8. Danvilletim

I believe Alum tanks and fiberglass Hull.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Can you drill a hole for another sender in a more accessable location? If not you can drill a much smaller hole and use the Sealand ones that pop in. but need 4 small holes, they're plastic pex pipe and can bend them easy enough to get them in as long as you have 6" of height above the tank.
  10. T.T.

T.T. Senior Member

Siren works and is simple
  11. benevid

benevid New Member

anyway you need 4 small holes.
  12. Danvilletim

Hey. I can definitely drill another hole. The vessel monitoring system wants a 24v sender that outputs 4-20 milliamperes. Ideally I could find that.
  13. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

GOST will monitor shore power and freezer if you want along with many other items. I monitor house battery bank voltage as one of my alarm items. It sends me a text if it drops below set point voltage. I also monitor door entry points, high water, etc. and have 6 cameras I can watch from anywhere on my phone or iPad.
  14. JadePanama

JadePanama Member

Another inexpensive option i used on a previous boat is Boat Command. can monitor power, bilge pump etc, and can fire two relays to do actions. also can monitor temperature, door switches and several other things with a little creativity. i used it to remotely turn on my diesel furnace to warm it up a few hours before we got there. also has gps notifications. This one has a cell type connection to send texts etc based on things you define, and does not rely on wifi which you may not have if power goes out. boatcommand.com $300. on the new vessel we have a victron system and use the Cerbo which has way more bells and whistles but also much more complicated.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I use GOST as well. Boat Command, as mentioned, is a good and very simple system if your boat has connectivity.
  16. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Very interesting posts..
    Man I’ve got a lot to learn.:( Just a bit out of my element.
    But this is why I enjoy YF!

It’s something to for me to consider installing one day on my vessel.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I found another use for these MySpool sensors: air con chiller loop monitoring and alert.

With the Cruisair chiller control in the ER I can’t get monitor the status of the chillers without going down in the ER. If one chiller throws a fault and shut down, the first clue would be ambient air temp. If I’m on board

I just setup a sensor by zip tying the temp prob on the loop pipe at one air handler. This allows me to get sms and email alerts if the temp goes over the 59 degree limit I set and I can log in to see the current temp and graph..
    TahoeJohn likes this.
  18. Danvilletim

That’s impressive. I’ve spent $5k to get txt alerts on our vessel monitoring system. Agh.
  19. Danvilletim

And I got a quote for 2700 for remote monitoring of the chillers. But most owners will pay it.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pascal may be onto something big here. Would there be other devices in this vendors line? Water level maybe? Gen set temp? Simple power failure?