Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for JetForums

Series 60 Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by alvareza, May 21, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. alvareza

alvareza Member

upload_2022-5-21_11-45-5.jpeg Took me a while to figure out the oil was leaking from this connection. It ran down the edge of the oil pan and would drip down at the rear of the engine. Not a lot of volume but annoying. Advice on best practices for sealing the joint would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The flair to pipe 90° fitting is leaking at the block.
    Using correctly sized wrenches or spanners, the blue hose will disconnect from the 90° like a garden hose.
    Mark the 90° with a marker pen so the same angle can be found when re-installed. With a spanner remove the 90° fitting from the block.
    Count the turns when removing, screw back in the same turn count. Practice this a few times to make the count repeatable.
    Clean all well. Coat male threads to the block with Loctite515 and reassemble. No sealant on the flair.
    I think removing the dip tube and replacing that lil hose with fresh clamps would be involved also.

I know people are scratching their heads about my spec on the 515 gasket maker on pipe threads. Been using it for years with great results.
    Just one thing, don't dally when screwing in the thread. In pipe thread use, the 515 dries fast and hard.
    d_meister and bliss like this.