Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Self Intelligent Sailboat?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by shahlahpulak, Nov 26, 2004.

1. shahlahpulak

shahlahpulak New Member

self intelligent sailboat

can we design a sailboat which is self intelligent.As an example, If a person want to use the sailboat,the person do not have to attend any course to master the knoting and navigation system to navigate the sailboat.I`m really like the sailboat.What is the first step to get involve in this field.
  2. Antonio Torres

Antonio Torres Member

self intelligent sail boat

Automatic sailing.

There are already a few automatic systems (like Perini Navi) for adjusting sails according to changing wind conditions.

I believe that a computer program may be able to take logical decisions and control servo-equipments, replacing many tasks that are currently human responsability.

However, any computer system needs proper input data to make the right decisions.
    My understanding is that the challenging problem will be to get accurate environment real-time data in all (or almost) situations.

To make this problem easier to understand, disregarding a few issues that influence the route like streams and waves, for a power boat the route can be a straight line from A to B. For a sail boat the route from A to B depends of wind conditions, and with several wind directions can't be a straight line.

OK, what's the big deal ? Every sailor knows that instead of a straight line, the boat can tack several times from A to B.
    That can be programmed too.
    However there is a problem:
    In order to program a route from A to B, that needs tacking (without considering further adjustments), there should be needed data about wind conditions all along the route.
    In the case of a bay with many islands and surrounded by high mountains (like the bays near Angra dos Reis - Brazil), that creates significantly different wind conditions along the route, I see no way to collect real-time weather data that is needed to select the best strategy from A to B.
    The program can adjust itself everytime there is a wind change, but will not be able to guess in advance and that may be crucial for selecting a proper strategy. The boat can begin in a wrong direction and that may result in a course much longer than needed.

OK, a skilled person may provide in advance input data about his knowledge of the local environment.
    Note that using human skills, to provide initial data for the system about local special conditions, is out of the proposal of having a sailing system that can back the unskilled sailor.