Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Seattle Area Boaters

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by hopper5, Jan 9, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hopper5

hopper5 Member

Simple question.....For all of you Carver owners in the PNW....What do you do to "winterize" your boats for winter. I plan on using our 440 occasionally over the winter and leave a couple of electric heaters on as well as a "rod" type electric heater in the bilge. What do you do ?? Thanks.....
  2. Pau Hana

Pau Hana New Member

Not a carver owner, but I am a full time liveaboard in Seattle. There are very few days that get below freezing around Puget Sound- your plan sounds fine to me.

We have covers for the engine air inlets on the hull. With those in place, and a small space heater in the engine room, the temps in there stay about 50° during the winter.
  3. JohnWms

JohnWms New Member

Not a Carver owner either, but...

During the winter I try to use the boat for at least a short trip no less than every two weeks. For "winterization" I move some small oil radiator type heaters on board. That's about it. I also put one of the oil radiators in the engine room.

The oil radiators cost a bit less to run than the built in electric heaters but my monthly electric bill is still close to $100 (Bayliner 4788). They might be a bit safer too. I do like to keep the boat comfortable all the time because I spend a lot of time there.

All through the year I have several small peltier type dehumidifiers scattered throughout the boat - saloon, master, engine room, etc. They pick up a surprising amount of water almost all year.

I've never had much luck with the rod type heaters and wouldn't deal with them myself.

I agree with Pau Hana - rarely gets cold enough, long enough, for it to be much more than a comfort issue.