Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck

Sailing Yacht Question

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Newflyer, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Newflyer

Newflyer New Member

Here's a newbie sailing question. I've been looking at photos and videos of Mirabella V and the Maltese Falcon. And I have a question about one aspect of being onboard one of these yachts. They have very nice luxurious interiors, but how do they keep all the furniture from sliding to one side of the yacht? It seems that in these photos the yachts are tilted to one side as they sail, which seems like it would make the experience onboard less than pleasent for someone who needs to move around onboard, or just relax. If anyone can elaborate on this, I'd appreciate it.
  2. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

I got a tour of a new 180ft perini navi recently the chairs in the cabins had a chain from the underside to an eye bolt in the floor and almost everthing else was fitted directly.
    I think the only loose furniture was some large cane armchairs on the aft deck, suspect they are stored elsewhere during sailing. The captain said it took about an hour to prepare the yacht for living at an angle.
    Most of the furniture on motor yachts should be fitted as well (or at least well 'wedged' in, when you hit heavy seas the last thing you need is a frisky dining table hunting you down :eek: .
  3. Newflyer

Newflyer New Member

Ok, so that's how the furniture stays down. But what about the people onboard? It seems like it would be hard to get a good night's rest, or for that matter, have a comfortable day, with the boat listing like that when it's moving.
  4. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

Sailing yachts are designed so that you can move around whilst at an angle, you will have hand holds and bulkheads in various areas and fitted furniture to lean against, or grasp hopefully no wide open spaces to fall around in. Ive slept very soundly on yachts under sail, however these have been a lot smaller than the two you mentioned and have had sofa/bunks with lee cloths in the salon, the cabins are mostly just a bunk and you can wedge yourself in against the low side, can be fun when the yacht tacks.
    For the mega sailing yachts with double beds doubt they would be at such an angle if the owner / charterer wished to sleep.
    As for relaxing during the day the yacht may be listed over at an angle but its amazing how comftable you can be in the cockpit or flybridge, no engine noise, nice breeze, yacht wooshing along and a cold beer close at hand:cool: moving around does take some getting use to thou.
  5. Catamarans

Catamarans New Member

The simple fact is that when those types vessels are at sail (monohulls) the crew members must maneuver to adjust to the tilted boat. There is no other way around this. If your major concern is to sail on a stable plateform then a catamaran/trimaran will be a suitable choice. Since these kinds of boats have multiple hulls they tend to remain flat while sailing.
  6. Newflyer

Newflyer New Member

I see, I thought that cats would be more stable, but they don't have quite the look as the monohulls. :)
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I don't know about MV or MF, but I read that Alloy's Tiara (178ft) only heels to about 15 degrees when running under full sail, and they don't even push it that hard often. 15 degrees isn't really impossible to move around on... just takes some getting used to I suppose. I'd love to try one day and report back. :D
  8. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

With the dropdown keel on MV she wont be over that much either id guess.

Cats are more stable and upright however there could be some downsides...

http://www.multicup60.eu/videos/

select English version and then cick on "Trophée CG des Alpes Maritimes..rough beginning"

(link stolen from an eairler post on this forum)
  9. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

well i suppose it will take some getting used to offcourse since most people would be accustommed to walking on a flat surface in terms of the angle. When it comes to walking on a sailyacht that consistently listing leeward of the wind i guess the plane of walking would be very difficult but not impossible....but i think it would be better than vesselswhich lists terribly from side to side..or have a corkscrewing action....thats when you can get thrown off your feet...and i have experienced that many times....
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just because it has 2 hulls doesn't mean it has to run flat... :D

Attached Files:

• VX40.jpg
      VX40.jpg
      File size:
      134.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  11. Newflyer

Newflyer New Member

Wow, I was thinking of a slightly larger and more refined vessel though. :)
  12. Yacht News

yes, that is the draw back f cats and trimarans
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Yeah, I know... but that was just the first pic I had at hand showing a cat flying a hull. Even still, a larger more refined double-hull can get one up.
  14. Yacht News

it just depends how hard the wind is blowing...mother nature is a powerful phenomenon..
  15. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Newflyer:

Since no one mentioned it, most smaller sailing yachts have berths equipped with leecloths. These on the windward side of the boat, and of course any berth to leeward, are surprisingly comfy places to grab a snooze.

Also, as I think it may be evident, whilst bombing along on a close reach when the air is freshening, one tend to gravitate to the leeward side whether in the cockpit, salon, etc.

Most furniture are built-ins and the others utilize pelican hooks and removeable eyebolts.
  16. Newflyer

Newflyer New Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a leecloth?
  17. Yacht News

its not ignorance Newflyer, if you dont know you dont know...i my self dont know and will be awaiting an answer to that question....:) Its all about learning and having fun here so i have been told...right Carl!
  18. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

From the marisafe.com Boating Dictionary:

lee cloth: a cloth hung on the lee (lower) side of a bunk to prevent the occupant from rolling out when the boat heels; also bunkboard

So basically, training wheels for your bed. :) Little kids bunk beds have these often.
  19. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Kevin explains it perfectly and I can still see Newflyer scratching his noggin'.

This leecloth thing is a large piece of cotton duck (strong) that runs the length--or a good portion of it---of the berth. Fastened down at the berthrail and held up vertically with lines running up to the cabin overhead.
    When the boat heels, think of the old saying about having your @ss in a sling, only, in this instance, it's a good thing!;)
  20. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

Since no one mentioned it, most smaller sailing yachts have berths equipped with leecloths. These on the windward side of the boat, and of course any berth to leeward, are surprisingly comfy places to grab a snooze.

Also, as I think it may be evident, whilst bombing along on a close reach when the air is freshening, one tend to gravitate to the leeward side whether in the cockpit, salon, etc.

In a smaller yacht you gravitate to the windward side to help heal the yacht closer to flat.The helm or foredeck may somtimes be to leeward to check for any boats hiding behind the genoa.