Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

Rv air Conditioner on aft deck hardtop

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by JimmyB73, Oct 4, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JimmyB73

JimmyB73 New Member

Has anyone ever installed a RV roof top air conditioner unit on a hardtop. I saw a unit installed on a 42' Carver a couple of years ago down on the Chesapeake Bay.
    We have a 3807. I ran across a like new unit. We are thinking about the possibilities of installing it on the back sundeck. Might make the nice summer nights a little cooler and bug free. Just throwing this out there for feedback.
  2. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

Although I don't have a Carver, I do have one installed on the walk-on hardtop of my boat.

Just a couple of things to be aware of for your planning:

1) Make sure you can supply sufficient power to the unit. Start-up current can be kinda high, so make sure your feed is sized accordingly.

2) Pay attention to the condensate drain. Some units have a drain kit that will allow you to capture the water and plumb it to a convenient drain location. Others just overflow their catch pan and the water will run across the hardtop. May create a "drip" where you don't want a drip to be!
  3. JimmyB73

JimmyB73 New Member

Been giving a lot of thought to the constant water drip from the unit. Not sure if my hardtop is canted towards the rear or not. In any event, I will still have water dripping down the side of the lexan windows. Luckly I can run a 110 volt wire directly down the radar arch to the fuse panel and a seperate 15 amp breaker. So the power situation i solved. Now to figure out the water drip.
  4. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Roof Top

I added a very low profile unit a few years ago. It has worked out fine. Do get a drain kit for it. (I didn't but should have)

Attached Files:

• air.jpg
      air.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

Is that the Carrier Low Profile unit? Annoys the hell out of me that they quit making that unit. (Same one I used)
  6. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Right you are!

Right, Carrier Low Profile 15000 BTU Air Conditioner with Electric Heat. Draws 14 amps when cooling. Only about 8 inches tall. I did not know Carrier stopped offering them. Maybe ebay??
  7. weto

weto Senior Member

Dometic(duotherm) and Coleman both make low profile rooftop A/C's. Both fit in the same hole as a standard (RV) 14"x14" vent. Can be had in either 13.5K btu or 15k btu. Figure on paying from 650.00 - 1000.00. There is also a Polar Cub that is I believe 9k btu for campers and tent trailers.