Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Rust colored water when I start my engines

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jimmy30379, Jan 26, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

Hello Cool Carver Dudes (and Ladies)

I am the proud new owner of a 1999 Carver 404. I am the 3rd owner of the vessel, that appears to have been well cared for through her life. I purchased the vessel about 3 months ago.

The boat runs well, but when I start her up after she has been sitting for a couple of weeks, I have rust colored water being expelled from both of the exhaust exits on the exterior of the boat.

The colored water only lasts for a minute and then clears up.

Is this normal?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It is most likely some metal in the exhaust such as the exhaust elbows with the water spray ring expelling the rusty soup a few weeks in contact with still water has caused.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Gas engines. Cast iron risers, cast iron exhaust elbows and depending if your exhaust manifolds are raw or coolant cooled, maybe them. Old Cris Craft cast iron mufflers would do the same thing. Pooled water sitting.

There is not much you can do about it without re-inventing the wheel. Stay on top of your normal maintenance and watch the risers for external leaks.

Tell your wife you have to use the boat more, never let it sit, Start with a Great Loop trip.;)
    Oh, I see your left coast; then a Baja trip.
  4. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

Good looking out guys!!!

Thanks for the info.

I will talk to the wife about going out more.

We mostly do weekend runs to Catalina, but Baja would be a great adventure.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's usually normal. If your exhaust manifolds and risers are 5 years old and haven't been changed I would do so immediately. On crusaders the manifolds are FWC on FWC motors and do not need to be changed, you just need to change the risers and make sure you have the proper gasket between the riser and manifold.
  6. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

Thanks for the response!!!

The risers are in good shape, and were changed out less than a year ago, with the higher rise, new gaskets, etc. No leaks, no rust, they look great.

Fortunately, I knew the mechanic that worked on the boat for the previous owner, so I was able to great great insider information on the vessel.

I'm pleased to hear the rusty looking water doesn't seem to be a big deal.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Baja on a 40' gasser - not a good idea. Stick to Catalina, Newport Beach, MDR for lunch or overnights ...Dana Point etc ...even Santa Barbara, or San Diego for a week or two in the summer.
  8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

What kind of mufflers? if fiberglass, okay. If aluminum like I hade on my 1987 Silverton, they actually corroded and rusted and was cause for rust to come out of the exhaust port when starting. Could also be risers (did they use after market or original)?