Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Rudder indicators?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Good Spirit, Aug 22, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    Looking for advice. I have a 1992 3608 and would like to add a rudder indicator. My question is what is a good instrument and how difficult is it to install. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. dainisk

dainisk Member

I installed a VDO instrument in 2008 and has worked perfectly. The hardest part of the installation is figuring out how/where to mount the sender. It has to attach to the tiller somehow, and in my case, I made a little metal bracket and extended the sender's arm so that it matches the total travel of the tiller. But not very hard to do.
    Note that VDO has two different senders depending if it's a single or dual station installation.
  3. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

i use eletrician tape around my wheel... works pretty well.. lol
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Do you already have an A-pilot installed, Thinking about one in the future? Most A-pilots usually have some graphic reference for rudder position or a plug option is available with no further senders to be installed.
  5. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I have an older Cetrek 727 auto pilot and would also like to install a rudder indicator. I wonder if this unit has a plug for it. I'm not at the boat currently but I will check when I get there. Plugging into the AP would save me a lot of trouble.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

As rcrapps said earlier if you have an existing AP odds are you have a screen display somewhere that shows rudder position. My old Robertson did and its replacement does and they were not options. Have a look before you look at additional hardware.
  7. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the info. I currently do not have AP I was looking at the ray marine product. Any thoughts on this instrument
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm a Simrad fan (pre merger).
    Raymarine stuff is good but other than using it quickly on deliveries, I'm not an expert. No problems on the deliveries.