Privacy Matters Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander

Repropping to lower top speed??

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by MLILIENTHAL, Jul 24, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

Hi,

I have what is probably an unusual question regarding repropping.

For background I have a 70' Neptunus motor yacht powered by 2 Cat 3412E's @ 1350 hp each. This is not an express boat but a skylounge motor yacht with a semi planning hull. Current power/prop configuration has it run at 7 kts at idle and up to 29 kts WOT. I don't have the fuel consumption numbers handy but from memory she burns about 20 gph at 9 kts and about 200 gph at WOT.

I mostly run her at slow speed for fuel efficiency and comfort, and never run her at high speed because it's ridiculous to suck that much fuel. I'm never in that much of a hurry. BTW, I shouldn't say "never" as I know it's bad for the engines to run slow all the time, so I do run her up a couple times a day to clean out any carbon build up.

It's my understanding that diesels run most efficiently at a specific loaded rpm. Being turbocharged engines, I would think that's with the turbos spooled up. My turbos come in 1400-1500 RPMs, and I normally run slower than that running 12 - 14 kts or so. Curious if anyone on this forum has thoughts on trying to reprop to get the slow speed RPM's up to have slow speed running in a better operating speed range.

I'm not trying to turn the vessel into a trawler but just make her a little more efficient at the expense of a high-speed level I don't need. Appreciate any thoughts/opinions.

Thanks

Matt
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

First question, do you have a way to read engine loads?
    Taking pitch out will reduce the loading of the engine thru the whole power band. Like a lower gear on your multi speed pedal bike. It is easier, but less efficient.

The E's pretty much pull the injectors back when not required so I do not see really any gains in unloading the engines more than your doing by going slow.

If anything, maybe, maybe,, maybe a micro more pitch.
    Do you have an old spare prop set to experiment this idea with?
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Running 12-14 kts is just about the worst possible speed as you are pushing a big wake and actually heavily loading the engines. At 14 kts I bet you re burning about 50gph.

either run at 9.5 to 10kts on 18 GPH or just get on plane and run 19kts. At that speed you should be burning about 60/65gph

the above suggestions are based on running a Johnson 70 skylounge with 1400hp 3412Es a few years back . I used to run the boat between miami and Nantucket fall and spring running 10kts 90% of the time and with 15’ on plane at the end of the day.

it ain’t broken, don’t break it trying to fix :)
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

70'-ish overall, ~65' or so at the waterline? I'd say you'd be best off no faster than 10.8 kts... and any higher than that (until you're on plane) you're just pushing water and wasting fuel. Even better, 8.8-9.5-ish kts.

Just yesterday our diesel tech was telling me our engines should be at 92% load at our rated WOT of 2300 RPM. (Which means actual WOT ought to be approx 2350-ish.) And also that being overloaded at any RPM is overloaded at all RPM. (Presumably it follows that being underloaded at any RPM would mean being underloaded at all RPM.)

Your engines will be different, but your manuals and your techs can advise on appropriate prop tuning.

And then once you've got those tuned, if they're not already, run slow or comfortably on plane.

-Chris
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On the pins (WOT) on both engines, 200GPH? You may not be loaded correctly.
    Brother Pascal has a great point, Tap on a real Cat shop. (Not Pantropic).
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

For what it's worth, I have fairly new CAT engines. They are not 3412E's but I believe similar principles apply. I too find myself running at slower speeds more often. It is more relaxing for me and, of course, uses much less fuel. I asked CAT Engineering directly if running at slow speeds would cause any harm to my engines. They said absolutely not. Just run them up once or twice a day for a short period to clear the turbos and get the stack temp up and you will be just fine.

As Pascal said - "it ain’t broken, don’t break it trying to fix"
  7. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify my thought was not to try to get the efficient engine speed to 14 kts, because as someone stated that's not an efficient hull speed, but to get 10-11 kts more efficient for the engines by upping the RPM's. I totally agree "if it aint broke don't fix it" but is running at close to idle for long periods (days/weeks) even with occasional run ups good for the engines.

I dug up my initial test numbers and at 10.3 kts I'm at 24% load and 18 gph. At 29.5 kts I'm at 84% load and 145 gph (my initial 200 gph was a bad memory lol). I have numbers in-between and am happy to share if interested.

I do have spare props so could play with different configs if I get that far. Anyway, all this is more a thought experiment so again I appreciate the thoughts added to the pot

P.S. I just ran a couple fuel consumption calcs. These numbers wont surprise anyone on here as your all experienced but just for fun, reference using a hypothetical 500-mile run.

@10.3 kts, 18 gph, running time 48 hours. Total fuel used 864 gal
    @21 kts, 71 gph, running time 24 hours, Total fuel used 1704 gal
    @24 kts, 90 gph, running time 21 hours. Total fuel used 1890 gal

P.S.S. Okay I had to plug in idle speed just for fun
    @8 kts, 7 gph, running time 71 hours, Total fuel used 500 gal
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I put 4000 hours on the 3412Es of that 70 Johnson I mentioned in my earlier post. When it sold, they had over 5000 hours and oil samples were perfect. Most of these hours, probably 80% were at 10/10,5 kts about 1100 rpm. As long as the engine is running at operating temp (180) it will be fine with a short speed run every few hours.

i know many old fashioned mechanics love to say that diesels need to be run hard all the the time but they also love being called to fix them…

i much prefer buying a boat that has been run gently than one where most of the hours where logged at 75% load. There is a reason why most manufacturers incl Cat specify hours or gallons used for maintenance intervals, whichever comes first

Yeah that 200gph number was off… I don’t think the 2000hp MTU drink that much on the 120 I run these days.

reducing pitch will increase RPM at hull speed but I don’t think it is going to increase load.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you never run the motors up because they burn too much fuel you're going to be paying a hell of a lot more for major overhauls. Those motors were designed to be run at 80% load. You can run them slow speeds (1000 rpms and under) for around 6 hours at a time, but you need to run them at cruise for 30 minutes to spool up the turbo's and clear out the carbon...........if you can't afford the fuel, don't buy a yacht. Fuel is going to be one of your lesser expenses.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Speaking of A 70’ Sky-Lounge with 2x 1,350 hp:

I operated one in Fort Lauderdale some years ago and got exactly the same 29 knots at full power, same as the OP. (Johnson 70, the owner wanted to go full blast while cruising)
    Optional 1,350 hp MAN engines, up from the stock MTU 1,150 hp.
    At idle with both in gear it was too much for the No Wake Zones between Bahia Mar and the Cut, we had to go in and out of gear on one all the time, not sure what the speed was, 7 -8 knot or above with both in forward.
    Otherwise easy to maneuver: Bow and Stern thruster, Sleipner 25 hp, since then changed name to Side-Power.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The OP is talking about a Neptunus 70 not a Johnson although performance should be similar.

the J70 I ran had the optional 1400 hp 3412Es. Real good performance. Funny you should mention the stern thruster.. on that one Johnson didn’t open a limber hole from the compartment in which the ST was installed to the main bilge. Over the years that filled with water and drowned the thruster. Never bothered fishing it as that would have meant removing all the steering gear and its massive SS shelf. Really no need for a ST anyway.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You are NOT going to get 10-11 knots more efficient by running the engines to a higher RPM. You will burn more fuel. It takes X amount of fuel to push the boat at a certain speed. If you are this concerned about fuel burn and cost, you should go buy an RV. Do you know how much it costs to re-prop a boat that size?????? Then you'd never be able to sell it. You need to run the motors at cruise for 30 minutes every 6 hours at a minimum.
  13. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

Just jumped back on after being offline a few days to see a few more comments. Again, thank you for all the comments, very informative to get other people's opinions and experiences.

Capt J I've owned and operated yachts for more than 30 years up and down the west coast, Mexico and the east coast. So yes, I know what it costs to buy, maintain, fuel and yes even reprop a yacht. Why you need to toss in condescending comments about if you can't afford fuel don't buy a yacht or buy an RV is beyond me. This was a simple question looking at ideas, options and opinions, not snide comments. So, no I don't plan on buying an RV because in your opinion looking at ways to save on fuel is somehow beneath that of a yacht owner.
    MBevins likes this.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In all fairness when most of us read this

“and I normally run slower than that running 12 - 14 kts or so” or 200gph WOT on 3412Es

it does raise questions about the person’s experience.

i really don’t see what you re going to gain by replacing props and raising RPM at hull speed. You re not going to save any fuel, if anything the friction losses from the higher RPM is going to increase fuel burn.
  15. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

I do appreciate your comments, but I did say "from memory 200 GPH" and that was based on me thinking 95 gph per engine WOT, okay, I was wrong, its 72 gph/engine. I then quickly corrected it when I checked my charting so you got me, my memory wasn't so good. Somehow that justifies negative judgements on my experience to the level of those previous comments? And even if I was a newbie and asking a completely stupid question, I'd still expect cordial explanations, like you and most people offered up. Separately why does 12-14 kts indicate some lack of experience? Although not as efficient as 8kts, it's below the curve for significant fuel flow (planning speed) so I gain 50% more speed over most efficient at a nominal additional cost in fuel consumption. Another reason for that speed is since acquiring this boat a lot of my running has been in populated areas with some open stretches followed by slow speed or no wake zones then back to open. So, to run up to 20 kts then drop to 8 then back up to 20 doesn't feel efficient. 14 to 8 then back to 14 feels right and is more comfortable for the passengers. So, I find that speed a balance. If there is something I'm missing, please let me know.

Back to my original question and the topic of this thread. My initial thought on this idea came after realizing that trawler yachts run 9 kts all day very efficiently and they do it at around 1800 rpm which has the turbo spooled up. No this isn't a trawler and before someone says "well you should have bought a trawler" the thought was simply, is it possible, and if so, does it make sense to get the engines into their more efficient operating rpm at a slower vessel running speed. If the ultimate answer is no, fine, that's why I'm here collecting opinions and tapping other people's experience. BTW I have spare props so the thought was if it makes any sense to play around with pitching I would do it with those and see how she runs. This also would allow me to put her back in normal running condition should I ever sell her.

I'm not saying I'm an expert captain and know everything there is to know about yachts but somehow for 30 years I've been able to maintain (mostly myself), upgrade and run my yachts all over the place...and amazingly I was able to afford it lol

Thanks again all!!
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

All of these things you say, make no sense from anyone experienced. Even the title "repropping to lower top speed". 12-14 knots is the most INEFFICIENT speed you can run as your boat is completely plowing...... you either run at cruise (or near it on plane), or 10 knots and under (hull speed) while keeping the motors at 1000 rpms or less, then running 80% for 30 minutes every 6 hours to clean the turbo's and cylinder walls of all of the carbon. It's most efficient while keeping your motors LONGEVITY and not crudding them up full of carbon and destroying the engines so they need rebuilds. They are designed to run at 80% load all of the time, not 1000 rpms, NOT 1400 RPMS, and no idle. You have engine displays, it's simple MATH to figure out how many GPH you are at each RPM/speed. 1400 rpms is A LOT more fuel per mile than 1000 rpms Probably 45 GPH at 14 knots versus 18 gph at 1000 rpms 10 knots.

Because you bought a yacht designed to be run at 20+ knots with engines that are designed to be run at 80% load all day everyday. Not idle speed, not 1000 rpms, not 1400 rpms, not 10 knots ALL of the time. So you come on here asking about spending $30k to change props to run at 1400 rpms for the sole reason of saving fuel and ONLY doing 10-11 knots. You basically bought the totally wrong boat for what you intend to do because you refuse to run at cruise and burn a little fuel for 30 minutes every 6 hours, or run the engines as they were designed. Yet your asking everyone for advice, but arguing with what people advise you.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

For a boat like yours, hull speed is about 10.5 to 10.9 kts. One single knot over that is going to cause your fuel burn to jump 60-70%. 2 knots and you ll be burning over twice the fuel. At 13/14 kts you will be burning about the same that you would if you were fully on plane at 17kts.

your Cat displays show fuel burn… plot it every 100 rpm and note the GPS speed in a neutral body of water (no current and minimal wind)

12-14 kts on a boat that size is just about the worst possible speed.

I used to run a 70’ skylounge with the same engines (almost… they were 1400hp not 1350 but that doesn’t make any difference). I ran that boat up down the east coast from Miami to Nantucket back and forth for 5 years. I did all the calculations regarding fuel and running 10.5 kts for most of the day with a high speed run at 20kts at the end of the day was the most efficient.

for instance let’s look at a 200 nm trip to the Exumas from miami:

- 10.5 kts all the way would be 19 hours or 380 USCG

- 20kts would be 10 hours or 800USG

- 14kts > 14 1/2 hrs > 725 US

- 10.5 kts for 15hrs / 20kts for 2 1/4 hrs> 300usg/180usg or 480 total

- 10.5kts for 10 hours / 20kts for 4 3/4 hours > 200usg / 370usg or 570 usg total

as you can see running at 12/14kts is the absolute worst combination of fuel, time and load on the engines.
  18. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

Looks like it's time to wrap up this thread. But again, I'll thank everyone for their opinions and information. Pascal thanks for the detailed response. Other than the 14 kt item the run pattern you describe is almost exactly what I do now in open water conditions. I run at 10 kts with a run up to 20 or 22 mid-day and again at the end of the day. Therefore, using your example if I was running nonstop to the Exumas I would be running at 10, with 4 run ups.

Not sure where some of the discussions went off the rails or where have I argued with any opinions. All I've done is present an idea and facts as I know them. In other words, I HAVE NO OPINION TO ARGUE, just an idea. The 12-14 kt thing seemed to generate some back and forth but is really irrelevant to my initial question. For reference at 14 kts I'm burning 36 gph and yes I know it's less efficient then at 10 kts but more efficient than on plane. But again, who cares, that wasn't the question I started this thread with.

So, some variety of opinions, mostly to just run the way I'm doing to possibly doing some tweaking. Being an engineer, I love to experiment, so we'll see where this goes. Maybe I'll try something, maybe not, but either way I appreciate all the responses.

Cheers,

Matt
  19. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Not really intending to flog a dead horse, but...

If I've done the math right, using Pascal's fuel/time figures, it looks to me like his:
    10.5 kts = .525 NMPG
    14.5 kts = .280 NMPG
    20 kts = .25 NMPG

If yours is similar, then 14 kts would be significantly less fuel-efficient than 10.5 kts, and less fuel/time-efficient than 20 kts.

If I fiddled with the numbers properly... Haven't had enough coffee yet today...

-Chris
  20. MLILIENTHAL

MLILIENTHAL New Member

I think you've done the math correctly and I respect Pascals numbers (I'm assuming from the Johnson he previously ran) but my boat burns slightly different. My math has @14 kts burning 36 gph making it .38 NMPG. For 10.3 kts @ 18 gph I get .57 NMPG. So definitely worse but that's a choice. Worst speed is between 14 and 16. Next time I run her I'll get the numbers for 15, 17 & 19 just to round out the table.

Time for my second cup