Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

Replacing engine on my 1990 Carver 42 ACMY

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Braddah, Oct 17, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Braddah

Braddah New Member

I'm putting a new long block in my boat. Is it really as ugly as it appears? Remove the flooring, remove the engine, replace the flooring?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I would be really interested to know how you can replace the long block without removing the engine. When you find out please post back here as I am sure I am not the only curious one.
  3. Braddah

Braddah New Member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. It is my intention to replace the entire engine.
    We plan on rebuilding it in the shop, running it, taking it apart so it can fit through the companionway door, then re-assembling in the Salon.
    I guess we remove the flooring, or create a new 'trap door/engine access hole', remove the old, and drop the new engine through the floor and back on it's mounts.
    It appears to be quite the project.

<<I would be really interested to know how you can replace the long block without removing the engine. When you find out please post back here as I am sure I am not the only curious one.>>

I'm putting a new long block in my boat. Is it really as ugly as it appears? Remove the flooring, remove the engine, replace the flooring?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

My post was an attempt at a bit of a joke.

Changing an engine in any vessel is a big job. I am not familiar with the general construction of a vessel like yours so I cannot offer you any tips or tricks with that process other than to look at all ways of doing it and choose the one that suits you situation the best before starting cutting and chopping things.

This is another thing that a Carver Owners club might be good for if you can find someone else who has done it to one of these.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your description of tearing down the block to bare minimum, pulling it up thru the salon deck, out the back companionway, thru a side window or even thru the coach room is very common. Some cruisers have a hatch over the salon (coach roof) just for R&R of the engines, gen-set, heavy furniture.
    Feel lucky, some boats have to go thru the hull sides.
    You will also be amazed, The labor bill just for R&R can be quite tall.

Was there a sudden failure or just old engines? May be a good time to freshen up the other block,
    OR pull da big un, New re-power...
    Warranties could look better in a long view..
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I see on another post you have Cummins 300s. If your doing the loop, Get new blocks. OB was correct, Your looking at a lot of hours just getting to the gulf.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Google AGLCA (American Great Loop Cruiser's Association). Good resource. Currently most of the boats are heading down the western rivers.
  8. timjet

timjet Member

I replaced my port engine with a Cummins reman, Cummins 330B. The old engine is stripped of everything that can come off the sides and removed out the companion way hatch/sliding door. The reman engine is installed the same way - remove everything you can, drop engine in and re-assemble. The reman engine cost is about 17K and about 6-7K to install it. A Cummins certified reman comes with a 2 year warranty which must be certified by Cummins after the install before issuing the warranty which is honored pretty much anywhere and the only way I would do it especially if I would considering serious cruising.