Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Replacing diesel fuel transfer pump - How to

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Greg Page, Sep 12, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I have fixed the electrical and now need to replace the transfer pump itself. I have the pump assembly ready with new fittings. Pump mounts to the back of the larger aft fuel tank. There are shut-off valves at the fitting to each fuel tank.

Looking for experience or suggestions on the least messy way to bleed fuel from the hose lines to remove the pump.

Thanks - Greg
  2. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Don't bleed them plug them with fittings.
  3. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I have the flare plugs for the hoses and stub hoses to cap the pump fittings. I'm thinking bleed the hose to the forward tank but leave the siphon tube on the aft tank primed so it will be easier to prime the pump.
  4. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Understand. Both ways should work. I was afraid that I would flip the switch in the wrong direction, so I left them both full.
  5. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Turned out to be easier than I expected. All the bolts were brass so not corroded. Only issue was the bolt battern was slightly different so I had to drill one new hole and slot two others to get it to fit. Took about 2-1/2 hours total.

Thanks
    Stainless45 likes this.