Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

Removal of coffee maker on a Carver 404

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jimmy30379, Dec 18, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

OK,
    I'm loosing my mind.

The original coffee maker on my 1999 Carver 404 is only working intermittently, so I was going to pull the unit and either repair it or replace it.

The issue is that I can't remove the coffee maker from the cabinet. It looks like the boat was built around the coffee maker. I can't gain access to either side of the unit, nor from the top or bottom. There is no access behind the unit either.

Am I missing something???

I am at the point of breaking out a saw and taking the thing out in pieces.

Does anyone have experience removing these??

Attached Files:

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is access to that area, there has to be to access the water gauge. It's either going to be through the base of the cabinet directly above the coffee maker or through a wall of closet directly on the backside of the coffee maker.
  3. gbarger

gbarger New Member

I believe that the coffee maker actually slides into a mounted bracket. Just left up a little maybe 1/8 of inch and pull it out, then you can remove the bracket that is holding it in there. Google built in coffee makers by Black and Decker, that is who made it.
  4. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

I will give this a shot on Monday when I get back to the vessel. There is not a lot of room to lift the machine, but I will give it a shot

I know it sounds crazy But the counter below and above are both solid countertops (there is a small rat hole on the bottom for electrical wiring, but you couldn't fit your hand through the hole), the port side is a breadbox with a solid wall with no access panel, the starboard side is solid with no access panel and the aft is where the couch sits in the salon, and there is no access panel there either. I might be able to pull out the electrical outlet and access it through that opening, But it seems a little crazy to have to do that.

I was looking at this last year when I thought I had to replace the water gauge (fortunately it was the holding tank sender unit that was bad), It is the strangest thing.

Hopefully gbarger will be correct and the unit will lift up and out.

Thanks for your input guys.

Anyone else dealt with the removal of this coffee unit???
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Years ago when my friend bought his first house, I was helping him get rid of a rotted front porch. We were taking it apart piece by piece when another friend (more experienced with demo) came by. He asked "Is there something here you're trying to save?" He then pulled out the Sawzall and an 8 lb. "persuader", and that porch was down within an hour. So I ask "Are you looking to save the coffee maker?" Yes, there's probably a right way to remove it, but don't waste your time overthinking it. Maybe there's a hidden clip. Maybe it's accessed by removing a panel behind it. Maybe it's caulked in place (which is what I suspect). But if it's any more complicated than lifting and pulling, just cut or chip it out. Along the way you'll learn the technique used to hold it in place for future reference.
  6. bliss

bliss Senior Member

I had this exact problem on a 1999 Silverton 402. It was about ten years ago so I am a lot fuzzy on how I got it out. What I recall is it did hang from a top bracket or side brackets. So the above advice is a good start. Lifting up and pulling out might be the answer. The bracket may be tension loaded so sliding something in between the machine and the wall and giving it a wiggle might release it. B and D's service number is 800.231. 9786 service email is on their website. Don't give up that is a good unit and may be repairable. Good luck! Let us know what works.
  7. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

Thanks for the input!!!

Hopefully i won't need to go the sawzall route...
  8. bliss

bliss Senior Member

MORE! Go to Google - go to Black Decker Spacemaker Coffee Maker" That should get you to EBAY and over fifty Spacemaker coffee makers. More importantly two pics show the brackets. If you think about buying ask if the brackets are included and don't throw yours away. You may need them.
  9. gbarger

gbarger New Member

I found the instructions on removing it.
    REMOVING THE COFFEEMAKER UNIT 1. To remove the unit from its mounting (for service or cleaning), first remove the Carafe. Slide your hand under the Coffeemaker to support the unit. Push up at the bottom rear to release the unit and slide it forward on its Track Guides. 2. To replace the unit in its mounting, slide the Coffeemaker along its Track Guides all the way back until it locks into place.

What I did since you can't get under it, was reach to the back in the space where the pot goes and lift up from the rear inside, then while lifting, slide it out.

I am attaching a PDF file with instructions.

Attached Files:

Karen2024 likes this.
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

just curious.... How many people looked at the instructions even though you don't have a B & D coffee maker ?

I couldn't help myself.........:rolleyes:
  11. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Than you very much!!!

-Jimmy
  12. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

If you find yourself looking for a new unit to replace yours I put a Brew Express in my boat and am happy with it.
  13. Jimmy30379

Jimmy30379 Member

Perfect solution.
    The coffee maker popped right out after lifting up the rear of the unit.

No need for the sawzall this time!!!

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Happy Christmas
    Jimmy