Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Refrigerator and Inverter

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by CroixToys, Sep 19, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

The original NorCold DE-0061 was removed from my 1983 Carver 32' ACMY and replaced with a smallish household Sanyo fridge.

The only real gripe I have is that I need to run the genny all the time just to keep the fridge going. I am considering an inverter to run it then every three to six hours fire up the genny to recharge the batteries.

I am unable to locate any type of model number or plate on the fridge that where I can determine power draw/startup surge. So, consequently, I am unsure whether this is viable. The fridge is a small household model, say, about five feet tall. Fits inside the spot where the old NorCold was snugly. It is a fairly recentish model. Not sure what sort of assumptions I can make here about power.

Anybody else try something like this?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you can't find the models specs by googling you can always use a Multi Meter and an amp clamp to see what the start and run currents are.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Did you look behind the fridge? Look at the amp meter on your panel and see what it draws. I d guess a 750w inverter will be fine butv2 things to consider:

Install the inverter close to the batteries as you want to keep the DC wires short (AC wires can be long)

Do not install the inverter in the engine room if the boat is gas powered

Make sure sure your batteries can handle the load (a small batt will not)

Don't overlook charge time depending on the size of your charger it may take one or two hours to recharge
  4. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

I'm no expert, but I've heard that the d/c draw on the marine fridge's are significantly less than what is drawn using the a/c mode.

You may end up draining your batt's more quickly using an inverter than by replacing to the right fridge with d/c power option, especially running a motor that fridges use.

We have a 1000 watt inverter on 2 golf club batt's that solely run our media; tv, dvd, wifi network and cell phones and never run out, but then again there's no motor being run. The house batt's are solely for the engines and stereo.
  5. Carver 406

Carver 406 New Member

I have been running a AC frig for years from the inverter, mostly while undway, no problem, at run it takes about 200 watts.
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Get an automatic inverter

I have a similar set up in my boat. For years I used a 700 watt inverter to power the refrig and TV/DVD with very good success. I run two series banks of golf cart batteries to supply the house power. My refrig requires about 150 watts to run but you need to get an inverter about three time the run wattage to handle the start up load created by the refrig hense the 700 watts. Recently I upgraded to a 2000 watt Freedom inverter, not only did I get additional power to make coffee in the microwave but I got a 200 amp charger that allows me to recharge the batteries in a little over and hour. Without the 200 amp charger it would take my 50 amp charger four time longer. I like the freedom because it automatically detects the loss of A/C and pickups the load without any manual switching which is another great benefit.