Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Westport

Ready to buy a 32 or 330 Mariner

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by capt2stu, Feb 28, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. capt2stu

capt2stu New Member

My wife and I have looked at a lot of boats and decided the Mariner is the right boat for us. We have looked at a few 1987-1989 32's and saw one we liked, but think they are asking too much so we decided to look at a couple 330's (a 1993 and 1994) even though they are out of state.

Any opinions on the difference between the 32 and 330? Anything we should look for before buying and having a survey?

Appreciate any input.

Stu
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Stu,
    Are you leaning towards the Mercruisers or Crusaders? I would go with the later model boat as it would have less hours on the engines. But you should check a few things:
    mufflers - probably fiberglass but if they have original aluminum mufflers they'll need changing
    risers - The risers on the exhaust need to be changed at least every 10 years. I got 12 years out of mine on a 350 Crusader, but was pushing it.
    cleanliness - those engines are under the cockpit with V-drive trannys. I've seen some of them that have been clean, since the hatch drains worked well. But others have been corroded or the engine room was just a mess.

The interior is roomy for that sized yacht, and the upper deck is spacious for guests. But they are a big sail in a breeze so you'll have to learn to use that to your advantage.
    Let us know where you are with the process.
    Capt Tom
  3. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

Stu,

The only difference between a 3297 and a 330 Mariner is just the numbers, and maybe some cosmetics. Like Capt Tom, I would stay with the later models as they are generally in better condition. As far as risers go...I am in fresh water, and we don't have the corrosion problems of those in salt water.
  4. capt2stu

capt2stu New Member

Thanks for the reply. We do have a contract on a 1993 330, contingent on the survey and sea trial scheduled for 4/28. The boat is in Connecticut and we are located in Maryland, trying to decide whether to bring down by water, probably a 2 1/2 day trip, or truck. Approached one trucking company and I wasn't sure on the height measurements to se if the fly bridge needed to come off, which would have a lot to do with my decision.

Stu
  5. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

The flybridge does not have to come off, but most likely the windshield will. It is held on by sheet metal/wood screws. Also, take off the helm seat (leave the post) and store all of the cushions inside the boat so they don't blow off. If you have never been on a Mariner...keep in mind during your sea trial, that the deadrise at the transom is only 4 degrees, so it may ride differently than you might expect. Most boats in this catagory are 12 to 20 degrees. When running...some bow down tab is required to let the boat's bow cut through the seas, this will improve the ride greatly
  6. capt2stu

capt2stu New Member

Boat Transport

Appreciate the info, the more the better. I have never been on a 330 (or 32), so sure hope I like the ride. My wife is claustrophobic, reason our last boat didn't work - smaller and small cabin. She loved the cabin in this one and we have been changing in our boating habits to more overnight than day trips (had bow riders before last boat), and now looking forward to more weekend trips or staying overnight at the marina.

Do you or anyone know good companies to contact that specialize in transporting boats?

Thanks,
    Stu
  7. Captainrasmusse

Captainrasmusse New Member

3207 Carver

If your Wife is clausterphobic, I would suggest a 3207 Aft Cabin. The windows are huge, and it sleeps 7 with two heads and a shower. I happen to have one for sale that is in excellent condition with a recent top and bottom survey noting no defects.

email me at

Captainrasmussen@aol.com