Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for JetForums

re-power CC Roamer Offshore (38ft)

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by roamer offshore, Jun 25, 2011.

1. roamer offshore

roamer offshore New Member

i just love that boat too much. i am thinking of repowering with Diesels. i would need to replace everything from the engine out to the prop. (or maybe reuse the existing props ?)

can anyone give me some advice ?
  2. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

repower

You will likely also have to replace the galv steel fuel tanks, gauges, add fuel lines, increase engine room vents, etc., etc., etc. I really wanted diesels also. I looked into this last year on my Roamer and it looks like at least a one year project with extensive unknowns and unknown costs. Likely not a good return on efforts. I've had both my big block MoPars rebuilt for $10,000. Look at all parts of the project.

Attached Files:

3. roamer offshore

i went through

a bunch of engines. about 3 years ago we went with custom pistons/ceramic coating on the combustion face. they are indestructible. UNLESS a Walter V-Drive locks up/breaks the flywheel into little pieces/causes some horrible damage to the engine.

it is heart-breaking. it is a good boat with a good hull. but at best these were race-car engines. i can't work on them myself, and this happened on my first outing of the season.

it seems like i either put entirely new gas or diesel set-ups (engine/trans/v-drive/outshaft) in, or never get decent use.
  4. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Diesels

I hear ya about not be able to have something reliable. That's what lead me to have both motors rebuilt. Last year I did run across a set of 4 cylinder Detroit Sidewinders at a great price that had similar power and torque and weight to the Offshore motors. I just thought the project was too open checkbook. this is the second time my Offshore original motors have been rebuilt, last time in 1978. You will still need the Walter V-Drives unless you reconfigure the salon and engine room.
  5. roamer offshore

clearly i am not an expert -

my 50 year old engines/transmissions/v-drives are a nightmare even when i have a good mechanic. i need to go fully modern & free of the need to tinker. i have nothing against the Walter company. maybe they have a modern V-Drive for the application ? or are there alternatives ?
  6. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

alternatives

There are always alternatives. How much are you willing to spend? :rolleyes:
  7. roamer offshore

of course you are correct

it may be more than i can/should afford. what do you think it would cost ?
  8. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

Why not just go with new MPI or EFI gas engines? They will mate to the trans without too much of a problem and they make adapter plates to fit most applications. Going with computer controlled fuel and ignition will stop a lot of headaches.
  9. roamer offshore

from time to time,

i have thought of that. at this point the starboard V-Drive is shot. both V-Drives are original to the boat (old and not up to the challenge). i need to find some kind of solution that makes the boat reliable. once again i have an enormously expensive marina slip and no boat..........
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Outboards? just kidding......
  11. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Outboards

Hey, don't laugh. I considered outboards but they just don't have the efficiency or torque for a 22000 lb and initial cost would be a problem. A new V-Drive would be about $4800 or half that for used or rebuilt.
  12. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Empty slip

Hey! I have one of those slips too. My Offshore has been in the yard for 3 months now. You had better check out the steel hull. I thought mine was pretty good but now after $2500 for welding and near $4000 for bottom work, I question the wisdom of it all (errr.. that was my wife speaking!) LOL
  13. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

There are a few threads of people putting outboards on 36-44' boats. As a matter of fact, one of the bigger manufacturers (wish I could remember who it is now) is putting twin 300 or 350 outboard engines on a 40' cruiser.
  14. roamer offshore

I would do that in a flash

does anyone know more about this ???????
  15. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

I'll see if I can dig up more info on this. I thought it was pretty interesting.
  16. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

I just read on the Pursuit and Grady web sites that they are putting Yamaha 300 & 350hp engines on their 37' boats. Although these are more the SF type, they are still 40' LOA and run a dry weight at close to 10 tons. That's the same as my Carver convertible.

I run 2 inboard 7.4L gas engines, which measure 310 HP each at the flywheel. If you run 2 O/B's measuring 300 HP at the prop, you are actually putting more HP into the water and also have the ability to trim up the engines in shallow bottom situations. Less maintenance, less fuel. Not to mention the HUGE amount of under sole storage you would gain from not having 2 engines in there. Conceivably, that could become another berth after finishing it out.

I'm still looking for the O/B setup on the 40+' weekender.
  17. roamer offshore

with that enormous

displacement hull, i would think i need a lot of torque ? obviously i would want to remove the swim deck. what would need to be done to attach these animals to the boat ?
  18. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Outboard Brackets

Here are some ideas:

"Each twin engine bracket with a swim platform is 84” wide and like the
    basic twin bracket is rated for 500 horsepower. These brackets weigh
    approximately 175 lbs."

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/brackets.htm

http://seamount-mattson.com/twinplat.htm

Attached Files:

19. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

You could consider mounting them as outboard as possible, on the strongest portion of the hull/transom. This would leave you with a smaller swim platform in the center, but at least its something

You would probably have to beef up the transom as it was not designed to support outboards. I know my transom is only approx 3/4".

Jack plates would also be a good idea.
  20. roamer offshore

this is such an attractive idea

i don't mind losing the swim platform. i ran the idea past the mechanic. he said he did not know if this would work with a displacement hull like mine, vs a planing hull ?

but you guys seem to know. obviously i need some help.

as far as reinforcing, i have a great fabricator/welder. i would just need to tell him what to do. a big concern is putting the boat out of balance in terms of weight all the way out there on the back.