Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Raytheon R41X RF ground

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Eugene4, Sep 18, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Eugene4

Eugene4 New Member

Finally around to messing with the old radar unit that came with my 1988 3807.
    Not working correctly so had it bench tested and they said it works fine. Took it back ,hooked it up and same issue. It runs thru its warm up and then just squeals.
    A tug captain said run to a dedicated battery. So now it will go thru warm up ,not squeal but not work properly, either.
    When I ran to battery I noticed the negative and the shield wire both on negative bus bar behind console. Manual says shield wire should go to RF ground.
    Any ideas appreciated. Surveyor said to replace same type functions of R41X would cost upwards of $6000. And just cause it's old don't mean it's broken (like me!)
  2. Monepit

Monepit Member

I had the same problem with my r41xx except it would give me an error and not work. The other unit worked fine. Sent it to ratheon and they said it worked fine. I replaced it with the working unit and it still didn't work but the working unit worked in the same spot with the same connections as the non working unit. Sent it back to raytheon and he said it bench tested fine and I didn't know what I was doing and charged me $200 for his trouble. Got it back and it still didn't work but the other unit still did in the same location. I disputed the charges on my credit card and won and bought a used unit on eBay and it worked fine and has worked fine ever since. I don't know why the bench test fine and don't work in the real world fine but they do. Try eBay.