Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Westport

Question by newbie who hi-jacked another thread...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by bhbhbh, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhbhbh

bhbhbh New Member

thanks to everyone with their information. Chartering does sound like it might be wise at first. Stupid question again, ya'll bear with me. If you own a yacht, and get a wild hair, can you cross the Atlantic to Europe. Do Yachts do this a lot. I could see from California to Hawaii, but the complete freedom concept sounds almost too good to be true, even if a person has the financial freedom to do so. Anyway, I am a few boards for other topics and I know new folks can drive you crazy sometimes so thanks again.
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

It depends on the type of yacht, but a properly outfitted yacht does this sort of thing all the time. Yachts that don't have the endurance, stability or desire go across loaded on a ship.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Bear with me while I deconstruct the statements above. Don't take this as an attack or criticism but the premise of your observation about the freedom to navigate is disturbing.

First, making a crossing on a yacht is very common and is hardly remarkable even if the decision to do so is made on a whim. That question is not really disturbing but the idea that anyone would even question the freedom to travel from the US to Europe on their yacht is frightening. It implies that you might not be bothered if it were illegal or required some kind of special permission from the government to do so. It is really scary to think that there are people who would be OK with that concept.

This thinking implies that only a corporation or other government approved entity should be allowed to transport government approved people from one country to another, is that what you really believe or desire?
  4. bhbhbh

bhbhbh New Member

Sorry to get you riled. I don't remember saying anything about government approved people. I was talking about vessels and whether or not it needed to be approved. by approval simply like an airplane allowed to fly and having to ID before flight and during by whomever. I'm glad I didn't ask if I could go to Cuba. geeez I am confused also, you say that I would not be bothered if it were illegal but then counter that with I need to get permission. Even though you are a senior poster I asked only if it was OK to travel to europe from america. If something is illegal it is illegal so I wouldn't do it. Oh well, you spun me on this one.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Simply put you can cruise most anywhere (no prohibition on leaving the U.S.), but you need permission to enter another country just like when you fly (customs). Of course there are a few countries where you don't even enter their territorial waters same as you don't walk across their land borders. Now going to Cuba from the U.S. would be a whole different conversation. Hope that helps.
  6. bhbhbh

bhbhbh New Member

that helped a lot, thanks. If a person owns a jacht, do they pay the crew year round or do they gather different crews for different journeys. Thanks for an answer
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That mostly depends on the size of the yacht. It's best for the boat to have one person who knows her, but F/T Captains or engineers are usually only found on larger yachts (other staff comes and goes). The smaller boats will hire crew as they need them although will often have a captain on a retainor to manage her and then pay him by the day when cruising. Many only hire captains when needed and have nobody steady who knows her. Penny wise/pound foolish. One look into the engineroom or at her dings will usually let you know which way the owner goes.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Marmot, I admit it can be confusing with several posters asking questions in the same thread, but you are still questioning the wrong person. The writer was the OP.
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I think you are the only one with that impression, the OP responded to my observations earlier. My last post was a quick reply to the OP, not you, as should have been crystal clear given the quote that preceded my comments.

I replied to your post earlier because it was convenient and contained the idea that was relevant, just read the content and let it go. If I want to address you I will put your name on the post.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am sorry, on my screen I can just find the original post by the original poster.
  11. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

You guys are absolutely amazing.
    Keep up the good work!
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

It's Winter in the North Eastern, USA, "forum food fights" are a great relief....
  13. bhbhbh

bhbhbh New Member

Thanks to you and Hennings. I probably shouldn't have started asking questions on another persons thread, my bad.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're welcome, and right. But the cunfusion was a bit amusing for those who can twiddle their thumbs in opposite directions at the same time.:D
  15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Gents,

The posts and replies by newcomer "bhbhbh" have been moved into a separate thread because they don't really pertain to the original discussion presented by a writer wanting to steal a yacht.

In the future, please avoid responding to thread hi-jacks so the mods have a chance to move or remove unwarranted posts.

This thread is being closed because it serves no useful purpose.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.