Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Burger

Question about coolant in a carver 3207

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by johnnyk468, Dec 6, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. johnnyk468

johnnyk468 New Member

I a looking at buying am 84 Carver 3207 that has twin PMC 250's, it is currently on blocks in a boatyard and has been winterized. I have a copy of survey that was done in April, it has nothing overwhelming disturbing in it. There were a couple comments on the stbd engine - survey said it a 'spark knock' and was in a 'hunting condition'. Now the part that raises concern - i found that the port engine freshwater cooling system was filled with antifreeze to the top, but the stbd one was empty. There was no coolant in the bilge and looking at oil on the disptick did not show anything either (recently changed, looked just liked the port oil). Where could it have gone - leaked into the crankcase, into the block, other?

thanks,

john k
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'll guess that when you say "the stbd one is empty" that you meant the overflow tank; not the motor. In this case I'd guess that the motor was filled hot and they just didn't put enough in or that the canister leaks. If it is indeed the motor and the anti-freeze isn't where it belongs it has to be in the oil or the bilge. Someone may have cleaned up the bilge or the recent oil change is hiding its content, i.e. the motor needs to run for the antifreeze to migrate. What is "hunting condition", that's new to me?
  3. johnnyk468

johnnyk468 New Member

Thanks for the reply - when i say empty i mean both the overflow tank and the engine itself - i open the pressure release cap and it is empty as far down into the manifold as i can see. I assume the hunting condition is the engine going through a cycle of speeding up, slowing down, speading up, etc. the surveyor made the note this may be to a carb mixture condition. The survey also noted the stbd engine ran about 10 degrees hotter than the port.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

5* dif. is normal. 10* is a bit much. Without antifreeze though that should go straight to overheat so there must be some in there. It needs to be filled and tracked. If it disappears it will be eveident where it goes pretty fast. The "hunting condition could be carb, a blocked fuel line, bad fuel pump, bad air flow,bad brain, etc, etc. Bottom line is that you have to run that boat and find the cause of the problems or assume you're heading for a rebuild and base your offer on that. One has to wonder why that boat was winterized and put up for sale without addressing those issues.
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Don't buy a boat without a sea trial. If you're buying in Winter with the boat in storage, escrow $$ to be held by a third party until you can perform a sea trial. You have to know what you're buying.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ditto, and run it hard enough to get it up hot.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It is possible that you have a serious issue with the Starboard motor. It is possible that you have a cracked cylinder head, or engine block allowing the coolant to leak into parts of the engine where they shouldn't be. It might also be that a freeze plug started leaking and nothing serious. Check the oil and see if it is higher then normal and has water/antifreeze at the bottom of the dipstick. Next I would take all of the spark plugs out and turn the motor over and see if there is any antifreeze in any of the cylinders and that they are clear (no fluids in them which could bend a rod.) Next I would do a compression test to make sure you have good compression in all cylinders. If all of this is fine, fill the motor with antifreeze and check for leaks. Next start it and have a mechanic verify the ignition timing is proper. After all of this, go for a seatrial.

As for the spark knock, that is detonation which is usually caused by too much spark advance in the distributor, but could also be from a lean fuel/air mixture (adjusting the carb). If there is too much spark advance it could seriously damage the engine.

Needless to say, if you're purchasing the boat I would have a good independant engine mechanic check both engines.
  8. 61c40

61c40 Member

Sounds to me like a heat exchanger leak from coolant side to raw water side over heated the engine causing the intake gasket to fail/leak causing the hunting condition. Try a pressure tester on the heat exchanger. Good Luck
  9. Brooke's Buddy

Brooke's Buddy New Member

Check the coolant caps PSI,if its 16 drop it down to a 7 psi. This will stop the engine throwing out the coolant or forcing it thru a slight leak on the system. also the heat range of the spark plugs must be right,check your manual. Good Luck