Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Westport Privacy Matters

PSA: descale these condensers.

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by Pascal, Jul 19, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

With air temp in the low 90s, water temp not too far behind and heat index over 100 air cons

are working hard here in sofl. Over the last few weeks I noticed my coil temps creeping up along with amps. I can keep an eye on the panel digital multimeters from the salon and the 240v air con side of the panel (two 36k chillers and 2 pumps) had been creeping to 39 / 40 amps. Not much left from a single 50 amp cord.

Occasional back flush helped but not enough. Last descale was about 9 months ago.

So yesterday I descaled the coils with Barnacle buster. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a mounted 1800 rule 120v and hoses all set up. An hour each chiller, one at a time so the boat would remain cool. This resulted not only in a 30 degree drop in coil temp but each chiller power use dropped from 19 amps to 13. Big difference for the electrical system.

IMG_2239.jpeg
    f3504x4ps, gr8trn, leeky and 4 others like this.
  2. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Cool! ;-)
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm fixing to make a real cleaning bucket with pump for our Bert and our buds's Hatt.
    Question; Did you notice any scale debris collect in your bucket? Or did it dissolve in the solution?
    Should I include a filter to keep any debris in the bucket,, like a shower sump?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Pretty much dissolved, just some stuff floating on the top
  5. MBee

MBee New Member

A little thread drift. Wanted to say a huge thank you for posting about the MOCREO cloud solution. We owned a Riviera 60. Loved the boat but had some AC cooling issues. Spec’d/built a Riviera 64SMY and let them know I would have high expectations for cooling system.

As soon as we took delivery I put water temp sensors on all 7 condensing units as well as temp/humidity sensors throughout the boat and in refrigeration units as well.

With all the data I could see I had some significant AC water flow issues. “Unfortunately” nothing was tripping so I suspected it would take some work to get Riviera to dive into. But dive they did, invested in some mods and I have a much better system now. Data was a huge help.

We have an Electrosea unit and, fingers crossed, data doesn’t show growth/fouling. Last week two units leaving water temps jumped by 7-10 degrees at the same exact time . They are on a water branch with another unit that didn’t change. Just yesterday one of the units dropped back down, even lower than the norm. The other is still high. I’m guessing some type of obstruction (clot like) is moving around.

Thanks again - data is awesome - and cheap! IMG_1047.png
  6. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

My salon AC started to go off cooling with a code. Sadly, the mfg didn't publish the codes, so I had to call them. They called back - 'possibly cooling flow obstruction'. Now I gotta find someone who can do the barnacle buster job, cuz, I am not doing it. All of my ACs are also not working as efficient as they were.

So, it's on my to do list, along with a lot of other maint.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Was the code HPF, or HP or something like that? That’s high pressure indeed caused by water flow restrictions

down here most air con techs charge $200 - $300 per unit to descale…. You can set up a bucket and a pump for under $200.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have buckets, All else was ordered last night; rite at $200 including small 12v bilge pump.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I prefer a 120v as it easier to plug in than having to open a battery box etc.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was going to use a small AC pump from my shop but 12Vdc clips to the two boats 12v supply is easier.
    Also, cheap 5/8" garden hose was the best value vs marine hose. GHT (garden hose thread) fittings at the bucket with GHT valves keeps it easy and cheap here also.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Pascal, where’d you locate the sensor probes? Against the discharge point of the heat exchangers??
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have one on each coil, at the top of the coil in the middle, held with a zip tie.

the accuracy of the reading isn’t as important as the trend
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I agree. Just wanted to hear your location and logic. Thank you. Good share.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I checked with an ir gun and that was pretty much the hottest spot.

I also have a sensor on the chilled loop as well as on things like hydraulic circuits, fridges and freezers and even the eFoil lithium battery
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I check mine regularly with an IR gun as well. I’m taking this step. Makes too much sense. Thank you.
  16. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Do any of the electronic gizmos which claim to make descaling obsolete work? Sorry for the imprecision, but I am laid up with flu
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

electronic gizmos?
    Examples?
  18. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Electasea clear line
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Another poo cooker.
    Humm
    Any members here using this?
  20. David Helsom

David Helsom Member

Perfect timing on the last question. Submitted for a quote on Clearline just now but would also like to get real world usage info.