Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Westport

Props on 43'

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Reel Antsy, Sep 23, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

I am currently running 24X26 3 blade props behind our 1987 43 with 671 TIBs. My spares are 24X27.
    What are those with a 43 running and what is the correct prop which came from the factory if you know.
    Thanks.
  2. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

What numbers are you pulling with the current 3B props? Any issues?

I’m running 4B with 671TI in my ‘85 - 43.’ I haven’t put her in the sling yet and do not have measurements. I have what I believe to be the original 3B wheels in the bilge. They have numbers written on them in sharpie. I’ll grab a photo this weekend.

Have you called the parts department at J&T with your DD serial numbers? Its my understanding that the OEM prop specs are on file with the build sheets and test reports for most, if not all, of our boats with J&T screaming jimmies.

I’m not in love with the 4B that I am currently running. Not enough bite with initial start-up. Backing into the slip on windy days or when the river is running high makes me nervous. I don’t think that the RPMs are there with the DDs to make a difference at the top end as well.

I could learn to love the 4B if I knew we would be getting an extra 1000 hours between majors. I don’t believe that the efficiency or reduced vibration makes the juice worth the squeeze. I’m in the same boat. Keen to run OG after having my spares checked and confirming the same with J&T.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  3. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

No issues. Just curious because my spares are a different size. I run about 20kts on a clean bottom, calm sea at 2150 but think I should be getting a bit more speed at that rpm...
  4. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

Got it. I’m pulling 19.5 to 20.3 kts @ 2050 to 2100 RPM in similar conditions. The increase in speed relative to RPM between 2100 and 2150 or even 2200 is not nearly as liner with my current setup. My barrier coat was redone in 2017 and I believe that she only has one coat of bottom paint from the prior owner.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  5. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Our boat has CATs so not a comparison for RPM but have on 24x26.5 3B and have run 22x28 4B. The 4B were 1 kt faster at cruise 24-vs-23 and at WOT on the governors. 4B were 2% less load at cruise and 10% less load on governors.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  6. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Okay, I have a correction to make. I currently have 24X24 3 blades on now. The spares are 24X26.5 which I'm swapping to. My prop numbers were wrong. Thought I had 24X26's on now.
  7. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

B747FCA5-D272-4899-8630-F7C71A979A1D.jpeg I was running out of daylight last night and didn't get a chance to pull the props off the bracket. Here is a photo of my starboard 3B. I can’t quite make out who serviced them. I found the “Reconditioned” sticker in the bilge that was originally attached to the aft blade. Its a shop in NY. Does anyone know what the “1642” stands for or who reconditioned the wheels? CFB290C2-5B70-4FB2-B491-80BF2867A446.jpeg
  8. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thank you. The numbers would be on the hub between blades. All good, thanks for checking. I don't think that 1642 means anything related to size of prop.
  9. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

Agreed. That was probably a ticket or work order number that the shop used. I’ll get the information off the hubs tomorrow or Wednesday.
  10. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

T
    That sticker is from Lawrence Johnson Machine works, a propellor shop near me in Freeport NY
    Tight Lines likes this.
  11. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

CUP 24 x 26

I’m willing to bet that these are original.

Attached Files:

Reel Antsy likes this.
  12. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thank you for that information. I am staying with my current prop, 24 x 24 for now.
  13. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

I found the original prop spec for the ‘43 in my stack of manuals this weekend.

Attached Files:

Reel Antsy likes this.
  14. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Wow...wonder if that's enough to over prop my TIBs...The 24x26 are my spares as of now. Maybe next haul out I'll try them. Thanks for the update!
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How close is your loaded and un-loaded WOT throttle rpm?
    If they are close, the 26" pitch may reward you with a treat.
    If a few 100 rpm difference, you are already loading your TIBs.

Let us know how they work out.
    :D
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  16. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thanks.