Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Prop speed on rudders

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by Capt Maritime, Nov 12, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

I am going to be applying prop speed to the shafts, struts and props on my 40 Cabo convertible with C12 CATs. Trying to decide about the rudders. Any Cabo owners out there that have applied prop speed to the rudders with good results? Did the product stay adhered?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you think it stays on the props, why not the rudders?
  3. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

I have not seen much of anything stay adhered to the leading edge of rudders. The yard ended up applying primer and and antifouling to the rudders so for this season Propspeed will be on the shafts, struts, and propellers only. This is my first boat with Propspeed.

Cabo props - Federal 26 X 32.jpg
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Neither have I, particularly on the outboard side of the leading edge - assuming outward rotating props, obviously.
    But the good news is that the very same reason why nothing stays attached there is also the reason why it doesn't really matter: a few minutes at fastish speed is usually enough to get rid of anything attached there.
    But this is only true of a portion of the rudder - as you also said, part of the the leading edge and of the outboard side.
    So, it's worth antifouling the rudder anyhow, because 70% (give or take) of its surface doesn't get powerwashed strongly enough to self-clean.
    Personally, once going the propspeed route for all the rest of the u/w gear, I would have used it also on the rudders.
    Not because it would stick to much more of the 70% I previously mentioned, but because nothing else does anyway.
    Mind, your mixed treatment (so to speak) should work just as well, if properly applied.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your props turn inward when going forward?
    This may help explain a few things..:rolleyes::D:D
  6. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Typo, sorry. Now corrected in the original post.
    Inward rotating props are pretty popular on very fast boats, anyway.

PS: what would have that explained?
  7. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

Props on my Cabo turn outboard in the ahead direction. 35 knots WOT.
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yup, typo aside, I didn't expect a boat like yours to have inward spinning props.
    When I said that the other way round can be found on some very fast boats, I meant VERY fast - like 80+ mph, if not even triple digit.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Reggie Fountain tried that. He gained 2 mph. However the gains weren't worth the negatives. Boats with inward turning propellers don't turn very well at all at speed. Only way inward turning propellers handle correctly is on catamarans (go fast and otherwise) where the motors are spaced very far apart with clean water on both sides of the lower unit.
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I'm debating if I should put propspeed, AF or nothing on my rudders and other running gear. I'm hauled for the winter now. The AF we put on the rudders last winter is about 50% gone. Basically the forward half of the rudders is bare metal (not unexpected). I currently have nothing on my shafts and props and do not get any growth. I'm considering just leaving the rudders bare along with the shafts and props. Is there any benefit to propspeed other than to avoid growth? I realize they claim corrosion protection as well but I'm properly bonded, zincs and have no sign of any corrosion.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I went propped on the rudders and have been very happy with it. Initial reasoning was that the use of ablative paint, imo, wear the paint quickly on the rudders, so the hard paint application stands up better over time and use. Tested, happy, sticking with it.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you operate in shallow water like we do, propspeed will be sandblasted off in no time. That why I don’t use it… we often maneuver with a couple of feet under the wheels in the Bahamas
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We primed and applied hard paint in the past. The different colors thru the years kept Josie happy.
    The silt in our waters wore it off in a few hours. Off of the shafts in a season.

This haul, on going now, We will not cover the running gear at all.
    We moor in fresh water but explore in all waters.
  14. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Propspeed is not worth the cost. Especially, with good monthly bottom cleaning service.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yeah, Reggie tried just about all tricks he dreamed of, including the use of l/h prop on single engine boats, as you can see in this video of my old lake toy.
    Counterintuitively BTW, considering that helm station is on stbd side.

That's all pretty irrelevant here anyhow.
    The only reason why I mentioned prop rotation in my comment is because it affects the side of the rudder where it's harder to make any a/f stick, nothing else.
  16. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We had Propspeed applied first time in the prop shop on our last boat when in the yard and reconditioning the props. It thinned a lot after one year and cost about half of the annual bottom cleaning service. We had a very good diver/ cleaning service. The bottom/metal always looked good even after two years. We painted hard antifouling on the hull and all metal except the prop blades. Our diver wanted hard paint (not ablative)on all when cleaning monthly year-round in Florida.
  17. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

The Cabo was launched on Friday and completed a satisfactory sea trial. I will keep an eye on the prop speed to see how well it holds up and performs.

Cabo launch day 18 Nov 2022 stern.jpg