Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta

Prop anode “ thread locker “?

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by Fiammetta42, Jul 23, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Does anyone know what this white waxy paste is stuffed up the 60mm hex anode on the prop bolt ?
    Presume due to anti-clockwise rotation ( the wheels spin outwards ) it’s placed to stop the stud unwinding?

Attached Files:

2. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

You might see it better on this vid ?
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6jN08Zg2R38

5A661049-358F-4575-B053-D3A2EBE39044.jpeg
    The yard deal in mostly super yachts with normally a 600T lift .The 30 Ton crane is for small fry .So have they or are they bringing something from SY experience?

Here - The yard .
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen a few yards use 5200 on prop bolts before.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

At my yard they use Sika 291, but I guess the 3M 5200 that CJ mentioned is just as good.

AFAIK, the main reason for sealing the bolt isn't to prevent it unlocking though, but keep sea water out of the thread instead.
    In fact, beware: the two round transom anodes whose bolts are exposed in your photo should also be sealed.
    BTW, both producers on which I have first hand experience (Tecnoseal and FONP) supply those transom anodes with a small round cover that should be screwed into the bolt recess - after filling it with sealant, anyway.
  5. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

The prop nuts are nibril or similar and the anode bolts going in S Steel .
    When I used to DIY the annual lift in France we used a blue thread lock 242 .
    Thread lock works , sets due to lack of oxygen in the tightening threads .It’s the lack of air that sets it .
    I suspect water will find it way through from the mating surface the other end , where the hex fits the prop bolt .That obviously thins down as the anode wears away anyhow.

Transom anode .
    Yes I have previously used ones with a screw in cap over the bolt hole space in Fr .
    They actually could do 2 seasons as they wear slowly, but I prefer a fresh set annually considering what they protect the MAN s .
    There’s not an issue undoing them as the zinc and SSteel bolt are touching the through the hull threaded bit anyhow so no corrosion, tightness to overcome .They obviously never loosen as not spinning .

Was hoping the white paste was sone sort of anti loosen stuff .

On the Itama owners FB page there is quite a few who loose the port prop anode .Recently a guy crossed Rome to Magdalena islands and his port anodes disappeared. A 46 with the exact same engines the V8 800 s as yours .
    He took it easy for eco reasons his vid , shows 24/25 knots so it’s not as if he’s caned it at 34 knots full tanks etc and pushed what ever his recently yard used .
    He’s claiming against the yard and indeed they are sending a new anode FWIW .

I have a hex socket and every few days ( when no white paste was placed ) just snorkel in and nip it up the bolt is long sat 40 or 50 mm anyhow so to loose it that’s a lot of unwind turns , but a 4/5 hr run maybe ?

I have just completed 300 + miles , the longest stint 70 at 27/28 knots and it’s still solid .
    They have been on about 6 weeks .I guess as they thin down ……..?
  6. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Actually risking being of accused of over thinking this?
    Wont the white stuff squirted in fill the internal hex of the bolt head , thus if the white stuff sets somewhat adheres to the hole inside the anode how can the bolt unscrew itself ?
    1635280E-F71D-4AC3-8704-88E267B4297C.jpeg
    Even spinning as relative to one and other the bolt , the white stuff and anode are spinning at the same rpm .The bolt is locked through its hex internal head if you see what I mean .

8415C919-041D-4417-85F3-DE5350D185C7.jpeg
    For the bolt to undo it’s gotta rotate anti-clockwise faster than the rest .The rest being it’s prop bolt shown above , but the white paste is gripping it to the anode .The anodes 6 flats , it’s hex lock onto the prop bolt so that never spins it can’t .Anode + bolt + props turn at the same rpm .

Anyhow 6 weeks in , so early days .
    It’s just once the conventional thread lock the blue 242 or what ever looses it so to speak , which it seems to do regularly then without the white paste there’s nothing stopping the bolt spinning out .
  7. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Starting to make sense . Now the internal hex of the anode bolt is filled .
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066996/

They will be doing the annual next time , so it’s there problem getting it out .
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Burns rite out with a torch.
    I have witnessed epoxy used on the shaft nuts before. Removed with a torch here also.
    Fiammetta42 likes this.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

The only logical conclusion I can infer from that is that Itama owners and/or their boatyards, for reasons only known to them, do not tighten the port prop anode properly. :D
    I can't think of any other justification, direction of rotation included, behind such occurrence.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I don't see lock or star washers, in the pictures of post #6.
    Nobody has mentioned lock washer. Is there an issue here?
  11. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

I did 5 DIY annuals and we used ( went through the range ) of locktight thread loc .Even went to the rouble to dry the inside of the prop bolt incase moisture contamination weakened the thread loc stuff .
    I’ve lost it twice in the first years .
    As said just resigned to a occasional snorkel nip up .
    Until moving it Italy and the marina yard do not allow DIY ers , they do it all .
    I didn’t ask for the white paste ( sika what ever 5200 ? ) or mention I had previously had trouble with the port / left one loosening …..they did it on there own .
    The lads on a Friday lunchtime frequent the marina bar and refer to us a “Mr + Mrs Itama “ I get the impression they like the boat .

We do cruise around just under 30 knots and the boats a mid engined with the props shoved as far back as possible to get the lowest shaft angle for efficiency and speed purposes.The V12 MAN powered 90 s versions can get to 40 knots .

Maybe others , MapishM s point do loose them on the anti-clockwise wheel but it’s not recoded .I don’t think it’s only an Itama thingy unless it’s shaft angle , speed and open prop blade related .

If you think about it as the anode basically shrinks from all its surfaces as it wears it looses it tight fit of the hex sides and it’s internal face .
    That face was tightening up flush when the anode was fitted .

If the shaft angle is say high ish Guess 12 degrees or greater .Say a rear engined boat not so performance orientated , then even though it’s loosened a bit by erosion it kinda jams in the water wake as it’s pushed back jamming the bolt stopping it rotating .

Where as if the shaft angle is below a certain inclination say 6 or 8 degrees the anode is slipstreamed so wobbles about as it shrinks the bolt gets vibrated and once it’s thread loc ( what ever number used I have used 3 ) is broken the bolt due to the anti-clockwise ness eventually spins it’s self out .

@MapishM it’s not yard incompetence and from me and my engineering graduates mates DIY ing the annual in France ….incompetency.

How ever in the absence of other boats loosing there anti-clockwise prop anode commonly, ie only Itama then that’s ( shaft angle ) the only difference .
  12. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Looks a pretty universal issue .
    A lot of stuff here theses guys and myself have coincided , the bolt wobble .

http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14397&sid=413ea9aa1a3ee6c8c5b98fb58ab28b28

Also read somewhere a guy suggesting the SSteel bolt accelerates galvanic corrosion of the zinc around the bolt .So he recommended nylon bolts .
    Any one heard of nylon anode bolts ?

I mean I am happy with the 5200 method stuffed up as said 300 miles and counting it’s still tight .
  13. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

I post theses pic based on my experience with a 86 Testarossa back in the day .
    0D0D7765-9E03-49DE-B3E1-94D693D06398.jpeg C0FB5A72-EDEC-426F-82DB-07EBC9640285.jpeg AE8D823E-6FE5-4740-B861-15B7FE106E25.jpeg

Borriani single wheel nuts .
    Exactly the same issue ……well could be in theory but Ferrari reverse threaded one side the left ,so in forward motion ALL four always tightened as you went forwards.

You don’t want to pull up to lights and find a wheel ( one of yours ) passing you !

So based on that why not reverse thread the port anti clockwise prop nut ? Only the anode retaining hole not the lock bolted main ( prop to shaft ) bit .
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Mopar (Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth) many (many) years ago had left thread nuts on the right side of their cars.
    They finally gave up and standardized. Now, proper torque and bolt stretch keeps that nut on till it needs to come off.

Stainless machine screws can not be torqued down, Higher grades of steel will rust; Catch 22.

So, the comment on the anode wearing (what they do) explains why a lock washer will not work.
    Further, the glue, just keeps the stainless machine screw in place, eventually the anode will loose its electrical contact with the shaft, remember it wears away, then become worthless.

Next question, why not use a shaft zinc?
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

That wasn't my point at all.
    I was just saying that I see no reason why bolts should be more prone to get loose depending on the shaft/prop rotation.
    BTW, you mention left thread on Ferrari wheel nuts on left side, while according to CR several US cars had left thread nuts on the right side instead.
    If there's any science behind that, I totally fail to see it! o_O
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Because the water flow in front of the props is already disturbed by the struts plus shafts (and their rotation), and shaft zincs make things even worse in this respect. Not so relevant in slow(ish) boats of course, but at 30+ kts, every little bit counts.
  17. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

“Righty tightly , lefty loosely”

Idea with none stretch single bolted wheels is to sync the tightening rotation with wheel rotation.

So going Fwds in the single nut wheel on a car the left wheels are turning anti clock wise and the bolt is experiencing forces to start to undo it .As the pic shows they were chromed single castings with very little stretch .Aside unlike a zinc the mag alloys did not shrink .In fact the insert was made of steel .So by choosing a LHD thread on the L ie tightens up to the L , those LHS wheel bolts tightened in motion , or turned around lost the tendency to loosen .
    By 88 Ferrari dropped the single bolt and went conventional 5. Stud with as said by CR stretch bolts , with friction shoulders all RHS threaded .

Having said this America was a huge market for the Testarossa ( Miami vice free marketing , Enzo gifted Don Johnson a personal one BtW ). They did start to incur wheel losses but mainly in the US .Even with LH threads etc .They put this down to the variable torque used with a lead mallet and massive spanner .You couldn’t quantify how tight you did them up .

With conventional studs you can use a torque wrench and quantify the bolt tightening so end of problem……which was openness to US lawsuits .

Back on to boats the Conventional “ righty tightly - lefty loosely “ works the same on anode bolts so it’s always the left wheel that turns anti-clockwise so does the bolt .
    As we have figured out and others in the link I gave it’s unsolvable problem because the anodes shrink then wobble then render thread loc or a star washer ineffective then the bolt starts to gradually unwind with the anode rattling away .

Even what my yard have done stuff sika something in isn’t full proof because if you think about it , as the anode shrinks it will detach from the internal aspect of the hole .Stay glued to the anode hex Allen style head bolt .So the whole white thing may spin anti clockwise as the bolt comes out .

A lefty thread in the port anode thread is to me an obvious solution like Ferrari reversing the thread on one side so the gen Fwds motion tends not to loosen them .

Tbh I was surprised spring 2015 the first lift in my tenure both prop nut anodes were identical threaded .
    It’s only from a loosing anode pov got to last to Oct then the boat hibernates .

I agree with your comments on shaft anodes , they shrink loose and slip down over the cut less bearing water inlets and I believe may contribute to vibrations .Aside a bit deeper and more diff to causally snorkel fix .

There’s no evidence to date of any adverse corrosion on the props or shafts .So even in reality as they shrink from Nov to the end of May in the marina and rattle around they still seem to protect the stern gear I guess the bolt loose as it is keeps the connection .I would be more concerned if they did NOT erode away with time .

I am coming round to the conclusion on my boat the left prop that turns anti-clockwise with a RH ( righty tightly - lefty loosely ) threaded anode bolt has to managed .
    Its the inevitable rattle from a eroding anode that defeats the thread loc that seems the consensus.

As i said in opening post let’s not loose sight of the poor guy in the I 46 who’s port anode was lost within weeks after a 5/6 hr trip .
    Can’t see yards not applying a thread loc compound .

Pleased you don’t appear to have the same problem with you left prop anode .
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Err, Ahh, Ohh, Umm,,
    This is not a race boat. Fast cruiser yes but not a race boat.
    When I was young and st***d (not so old or smart), I did push fast inboards with LBCs and old Crusader V drives. Fighting shaft size, strut interference, depth of prop (clean, dense water) and other ideals; we did look at zinc interference. Since we could not afford to pull out every night, the rigs stayed at my dock, we had to zinc up.
    No, We thought about it, tested it, never found an issue.
    This was before GPS (Loran was to slow) and we had double stakes in different parts of Trout River to time ourselves against.
    My fave was an ole 25' Donzi Marine deep (DEEP) V. Not much in the water at speed. I could move my asp to help P/S trim. Tider toder on the V, we pushed past 50kts (57Mph) and did not slow down for the big rivers tug boats. What a ride.
    Shaft zincs did not take anything off.

So, Bubbles to this comment..

I only tell my best friends that I messed with gas engines. If you tell anybody, I'll have to raspberry you..:cool:

rc
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022