Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Furuno

Problem With Marquis Penta Engine

Discussion in 'Marquis Yacht' started by Melad Andre, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Melad Andre

Melad Andre New Member

Hi guys, I'm having trouble with all 3 engines on my Marquis 500 Sport Bridge (2010). We have 3 Volvo Penta 600 IPS Engines on the yacht. We're having trouble with all 3 engines exceeding 2100 RPM. Once it hits 2100 RPM it will oscillate around there but never goes above. It's been happening since mid-march. The turbos start to kick in but then back out. Has anyone had this same issue? We have contacted Volvo and they have no clue as to how to solve the problem. We're wondering if it's a product design defect.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All 3 doesn't sound like a motor problem. It sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I could agree on the fuel delivery problem but we have heard about electronic problems related to the Electronic Vessel Control system (EVC)
    and the internal electronic engine control (EEC) systems of IPS systems, as all three engines are controlled through a single black box and throttle quadrant (or two with Flybridge boats). A bad connection or a cold solder joint on a circuit board may not be reproducible by the Volvo Rep at the dock.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I guess there is a problem with one of the engines and since they are synchronized in the higher revs, all are stalling....
  6. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

That's exactly what i meant, I forgot about the synchro part.

It is like on the SR-71 Blackbird. If one engine stalls at Mach 3+, the other engine is engine turned off automatically, to prevent the aircraft from braking apart, due to asymmetrical thrust :D.

Btw. Seamanship is airmanship at 10 Kts :p.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Huumm, Never been here before.
    Are all three always synced to each other? Or hit a button when the ship gets up.
    I'm still in the old school. 3 engines, 3 throttles.
    Assumed (without thought) the center engine on these fly by wire rigs was slaved to one of the outside engines.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

With triple IPS you have two throttles and the center engine follows when both are in forward gear. From a certain rev all three are synchronized.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not to keep beating the dawg;
    Would you still need a master or main signal for the others to follow?
    Two throttles, I speed up, the stb reads 2000, the port reads 1800, the center is following one of them. does the computer pick the faster of the Port/Stb or adjust all 3 to 1900 rpm?
    So, for the OP, if the lead engine (one of them) is not making revs, the others won't also. How can you determine witch one without plugging in a diag computer?

There is the next problem..
  10. Melad Andre

Melad Andre New Member

The Volvo Rep came and conducted some more tests, we discovered the 6th cylinder in all 3 engines is showing low compression. It's strange that all 3 engines are diagnosed with the same problem. Still don't think its the primary problem, though. When we try running each engine separately, the same problem of the turbos not kicking is found in all 3 of hem. It stays at around 2100 RPM. Volvo seems clueless.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Normally you should have an error code if there is an engine problem. It can also be a problem with the EVC-boxes, sometimes caused by a thunderstorm. Another problem could be with a propeller, if it is damaged so one engine is halted, all will probably get the same signal...
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My first thought was the sync. (We had a similar problem with our stbd. motor which had me going for the Racors until I realized it only happened when the sync was engaged.) Does the proplem occur if you bring them up manually without syncing?
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or a dirty bottom or running gear. After reading your update I'm changing my thoughts. Is #6 the last cylinder of every engine before you get to the exhaust riser? If so it sounds like the exhaust risers are not designed correctly and allowing water back into the last cylinder. Is the turbo in between the riser and exhaust manifold? If you have a dead cylinder the turbo's might not spool up and have a lot of corrosion also. How much boost were they making? Does it make full RPM in neutral? Has a lot of weight been added, especially to make the vessel sit lower in the stern? A dinghy, etc.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hummmmm
    These are good thoughts.
    These are not good thoughts. Are you dealing with a real Volvo Diesel shop?

AND, Not read yet that a diver has been under your boat yesterday or today to verify clear bottom and IPS.
    NOT a dive report from several weeks ago.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd expect a dirty bottom to be more evident through the entire range, also wouldn't expect a lot of growth in March, but it would fit. The #6 cylinder issue sounds like a design issue that would have affected the running from the start, not all three together suddenly 5 years later.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If it's the last cylinder before the turbo and exhaust riser on all 3 engines and the risers are too short allowing a little saltwater or freshwater to seep back into the engine, it's going to end up in the closest cylinder. For all 3 to have low compression on #6, it's REALLY odd. Also, the pistons, rings, and cylinder liners are the same parts in cylinders 1-5 as well as 6.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm with Skippy J on further investigating why all #6 lungs are low.
    It could lead to something. Without all lungs pumping; low boost; low power; low heat; low expanding gases; oh ah ,,, low boost. Sadly, you can't see the exhaust color. Don't think a pyrometer is a part of the Volvo package.
    I'm disappointed in the 'spose Volvo rep not coming up with a diag or plan yet.

I'm lost on your March comment. The other side of the world may have the same problems we have in Jax; year around fouling problems; The runoff is killing the water around here and serious fouling year round.
    Algae bloom and flesh eating bacteria problems have kept people out of the water since last (2014) spring. It did not stop during our fall & winter. Then the warm water hit us early. Boats with fresh paint have burber carpet on their bottoms in 2 weeks now.
    Our divers go thru a regiment of health and clean drills every time there up.

Did I tell you I wanted to move?
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Any updates or plans in motion?
  19. Jim Rustad

Jim Rustad Guest

Hi We are looking at A 50' marquis. Has this been resolved? Do you mind sharing the resolution?
  20. Efrain

Efrain New Member

Hi Jim, did you buy the Marquis 50ยด??. I am planning to buy one and appreciate feed backs since nobody posted more about the problems!!.