Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

Pre-WWII steam & motor yachts, 75' LOA+

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by Manusel, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Manusel

Manusel Member

I collect digital images of these mostly long gone beauties. I'm looking for others interested in this topic to correspond, swap and share images, and generally untangle the histories of many famous yachts and their owners. I have a huge and growing cache of digital images and am willing to share with any interested parties. Here are a few representative shots:

Attached Files:

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Many private yachts were acquitted by the Navy during WWII for coastal patrols. Here's a little info on the first pic: She worked out of Ft. Schuyler below where the Throggs Neck bridge now stands. Does anybody know who owned her at the time?

District Patrol Craft
    Built in 1924 as the motor yacht Taormina at Boston, MA.
    Acquitted by the US Navy, 7 September 1942
    Placed in service as YP-552, date unknown
    Allocated to the 3rd Naval District, based at Fort Schuyler, N.Y.
    Placed out of service, date unknown
    Struck from the Naval Register, date unknown
    Final Disposition, fate unknown
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Specifications:
    Displacement unknown
    Length 113' 4"
    Beam 19' 6"
    Draft unknown
    Speed unknown
    Complement unknown
    Armament unknown
    Propulsion Diesel, 400shp
  3. Manusel

Manusel Member

Yachts in WWII service is a particular interest of mine. I can't seem to get a handle on the service histories of several large yachts which must have been used as military vessels in the war. One in particular would be Janidore, Defoe 1930, #230131, John Wells design, Isidore Zellerbach owned (now Eden with re-designed clipper bow). Tim Colton's site mentions that she went to U.S. service as FS-27, but I can't seem to find any other reference to her wartime service. Any comments? Below are shots as Janidore, Eden, Carmac II, and Fulmara.

Attached Files:

4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Most of these yachts were used for "coastal patrols" Here's a piece that will give you an idea about their actual use:
    William Joseph Zellerbach. Recollections : interviews with William J. Zellerbach and Stephen A. Zellerbach : oral history transcript / 1992

W. Zellerbach: "It was converted and I think the army generals loved to live off of it up in Alaska.":)
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

+1