Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Power Converters

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Klavs, May 1, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Klavs

Klavs New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm researching power converter solutions for boats and would love your input. Specifically, I'm looking into shore power converters, designed to tackle shore voltage variations and regional power frequency differences.

Here's what it would offer:
    • Ensures safe power supply for vessels, accommodating various voltages without risks like high currents or damage.
    • Resolved voltage and grid frequency differences, ensuring consistent performance worldwide.
    • Shields onboard systems from voltage and frequency fluctuations
    Do you encounter voltage fluctuations or frequency mismatches while boating? How do you currently address them? If so, when do you encounter this? Have you seen any similar products? Any thoughts on the converter's potential value?

Your insights would be incredibly helpful for my research. Thanks for sharing!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Atlas Marine is scalable, is what I have, and does what you are seeking. I would estimate that it would begin at a level of around 100 amps of single phase service. It will manage frequency as well as voltage, and it will allow you to connect to the full spectrum of standard marine dockside voltage.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Voltage issues are pretty frequent at marinas but not frequency. The only time you re going to see changes between 50 and 60 hz is when traveling to Europe or places with 50hz

we have an Atlas ShorPower system on the 110 I run. It maintains 240v no matter what you re connected to. It opens options like for us being able to connect to 480v at the dock.

it will also convert 50 to 60hz if we ever go to Europe

Atlas has excellent customer service even on an older system like ours

there are couple of other companies making these systems. Ward Marine Elecrics in FTL is the best source.
    rtrafford likes this.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If your in Holland these guys are very well worth a look , They deal with all the big yachts these days as they do units that are shore power units and drive units for thrusters when gens are running. https://www.magnusmarine.com/
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  6. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

ASea as well.