Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for Westport

Possibly buying a motor yacht with damaged prop shaft

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by Ron Ollis, Jul 17, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ron Ollis

Ron Ollis New Member

The motor yacht in question is the Silverton 34C. The current owner said the anchor rode became wrapped around one the prop shaft. He says it will need a realignment and there was no damage to the prop. I will have a survey done of course if I decide to buy the boat but just looking for a round cost to have this type service done so I can figure that in the budget or run away
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

There is no simple answer to that question. An anchor rode around the shaft could have caused the following:
    ~Bent Shaft
    ~Bent Strut
    ~Broken Strut Fasteners
    ~Damaged Strut (Cutless) Bearings
    ~Damaged Stern Tube
    ~Damaged Transmission
    or
    ~None of the Above

You'll need to have a good surveyor, or budget significant $ for unknown repairs.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

A VERY good surveyor.
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

In fact you're going to have to specify to the surveyor that there's possible damage in this area and he's to provide full in-depth report with comparative measurements between port and starboard sides.
    This will be an adder to his survey fee so don't be surprised if an additional $1000 or so . But without definitive measurements you'll get a a " looks okay" report which tells you very little.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

One of our customers motor mounts was damaged by a loose dock line.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The next question that needs to be asked; was the boat operated after the damage, then look carefully at the clutch flange and output shaft bearings. This requires lots more survey time.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I wouldn’t spend a dime on survey unless the agreed price was $10/15k below comparables. Too many things could go wrong

I ve never got my own rode caught by a wheel but I ve had lines caught around a shaft and stall a motor. Didnt bend the shaft even though one time the line was tied to a piling. **** neighbor never hooked his lines right... I know Silvertons are built light but I wonder if maybe they re not too weak
  8. Ron Ollis

Ron Ollis New Member

Thanks for all the intelligent replies.
    To answer all the questions:
    It did not stall the motor, it was shut immediately after seeing the mishap. The motor was not restarted afterwards, it was driven back the short distance on the other that was not affected. The boat had set for at a while in its wet slip, did not take on any water. The boat is very well priced under value.
    I will certainly have a full survey, I just cant go around paying multiple survey's for every potential boat
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

So the shaft got damaged because of a line that allegedly didn’t stall the engine? Seriously? Either the seller is lying or Silvertons are built even lighter than I thought.

As I said earlier if it is priced 10/15k below value... go ahead and gamble. Otherwise get a real boat. Pardon me... a real motoryacht.
  10. Ken Bracewell

My thoughts exactly. BUT... perhaps the seller doesn't know any better, and assumed there are alignment issues.

I suggest asking how he knows it needs alignment. Perhaps a sea trial would show a vibration or not...
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

How does one foul an anchor line around a shaft without the engine running and shaft rotating?
    For the survey to assess for damage you will have to haul the boat. Is the seller paying for this until and if you buy the boat? If you haul, find damage and walk away, are you out the cost of the haul? Has the seller even hauled the boat since this incident?
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well then do a sea trial before survey. If you don’t have any vibration then go ahead and survey.

if you get vibration then get the seller so solve it
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  13. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Just a minor point. Silverton made boats they named as "Motor Yachts" but the 34C isn't one. Instead, they named that a "Convertible."

As others have said, it'd be worth asking how the seller knows the shaft will need realignment. He might have been guessing, maybe trying to be on the safe side of "disclosures"... or maybe he really does know there's some apparent vibration and is assuming the rode episode is the cause.

I can't make a guess about potential costs, but local boatyards might be able to give you some estimates for motor/shaft realignment. Assuming the original shaft isn't bent or scored and the struts are OK, most of the charge would likely be labor hours.

-Chris
  14. Ron Ollis

Ron Ollis New Member

The owner at this point assumed there could be possible damage. He just did not try to operate it afterwards for the fear of causing more damage. I might roll the dice and get it on the hard to a full survey and go from there.
    Ken Bracewell likes this.
  15. Ken Bracewell

I would recommend doing a sea trial before paying for a haul out.
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You do not know any of that for a fact. You don't know what happened, unless you were there. As to priced under value, doubt that seriously. Priced to value.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Something to ponder;
    It was fine before a line got tangled.
    Now, after the tangle, it is not fine.
    Tangles do not make engines out of align.

Something is damaged.

Have your mechanical surveyor watching the shaft and motor while underway to the lift.
    He can advise you weather to haul or not.
    If it is bad, you need to determine to continue spending money for the haul out inspection and further surveys.

Under value means nothing. Hate that term.
    What is it worth to you and your insurance company is the money value.

Purchasing a broken boat with issues and other surprises, offers no savings in value.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Let me repeat what said earlier.

DO A SEA TRIAL!

that is pretty standard for any purchase anyway. Then you can decide whether you want spend money on surveys and haul out.
    MBevins likes this.