Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click to Save Click for Glendinning

Polarized or non Sunglasses

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Floatby, Apr 15, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Floatby

Floatby New Member

I have a quandary. To read the bridge glass screens, non polarized glasses are better. But to see logs hiding in waves, polarized cut the glare.

Curious to see what others have compromised for them?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I use polarized Maui Jim sunglasses. I usually don't have any issues seeing gauges and digital displays with them. However on closed bridge boats with glass windows, sometimes you can see the print-through in the glass you're looking through and it can be a real pain. However most of the yachts I run either don't have glass bridge windows, or aren't an issue......maybe 1 out of 100.
  3. Floatby

Floatby New Member

yeah exactly what I mean. I have Serengeti Drivers for inside and Maui Jim's outside.

But I was wondering if there is a Silver Bullet I haven't found yet ;)
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I wouldn't think of using non-polarized glasses on the water. Beyond seeing hazards, you'll destroy you eyes. It's easy enough to just drop them down your nose or look under them if you unable to see your screens.
  5. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

I would allways wear polarized sunglasses if weather gives a reason. just love my Persol. And the limitations with the chart plotter are not that extreme that it is really a problem.
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

AND, to get the best of the Maui's for those of us whose eyes have "aged" and need a lense, get the Maui Jim optical prescription lenses. That way, there is NO MORE swapping reading glasses for the charts/screens and the sunglasses for the ocean.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Polarized glasses have advantages at sea, but for protecting your eyes it is UV-protection you need. My sunglasses are bifocal which I like better than progressive.

Attached Files:

8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So how many pair of sunglasses do we go through a year? Between sitting on them, leaving them on someone's boat, leaving them on car trunks, and otherwise disposing of them I generally run through 3 or 4 pair a year. Before polarized, I always get $5 glasses. A friend suggested that I get expensive glasses because I'd be more careful. I told him, no, I'll just get poorer. So I usually get Typhoons for about $40 a pair which makes it about $80 to $160 a year. And being impact resistant they go straight from boat to bike.
    Back in the pre-lasik days sunglasses were a real problem. Bi-focals felt death defying as I jumped from dock to boat or boat to boat. The progressives were better, but what a relief the Lasik was. Much less chance of ending up in the drink.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check out Maui Jim's newest lense. It is polarized, but doesn't really darken it just cuts the glare and there are much less issues seeing inside and out. Very versatile.
  10. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Member

Polarized ?

Help me out Capt J if you can please. I checked on the appropriate site. I
    found 24 new models listed, but could not find a "polarized" model.

Do you know the model name ?

Is it available in prescription lenses ?

Thanks...
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The HT lenses are really nice. They just cut the glare. Even in direct sunlight they're good. I am pretty sure all maui jim's are polarized. most maui jims are available in prescription lenses.....I'd recommend finding a dealer and trying different pairs on, and then order them in your prescription.

Here's from the Maui Jim website:
    PolarizedPlus®2: In every pair of Maui Jims you’ll find our patented, color-infused lens technology that wipes out 99.9% of glare, 100% of harmful UV and boosts color via specially designed lens treatments. So your view is clearer, with crisper contrast and amazing brilliance.
  12. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Member

Thanks Capt J I will revisit the site and see what I can find.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Maui Jims are great sunglasses and it is a good company to deal with should you need some repairs.

I have a pair of Typhoons I bought at Sawgrass during FLIBS 2002, the frames have been repaired 3 times and replaced once owing to just general wear and tear as these things hand round my neck and are often worn everyday all day, the right lens was replaced as it got cracked in an accident.

The only thing I have ever been charged for is the replacement lens which was something around 50 Euro incl shipping when it was done in 2005.
  14. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I use only polarized with UV. Not only do you see items in the water better, but the red and green markers stand out more. I'll wear them in the fog as they tend to cut the glare, too. For the bridge, a slight tilt of the head or lift of the glasses allows for easy viewing of plotters.
  15. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I've had the same two pairs of Costa's for 5 years. It's a matter of the mind to not lose or break things.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Great in theory. I've gotten pretty good with them lately, but my wife moved my last pair and then sat on them. Oh if the world would only co-operate.:( :D