Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Plugged drains on 1989 carver aft cabin

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by pcelmer, Aug 3, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. pcelmer

pcelmer New Member

My drain on the aft deck right in front of the salon door is plugged . What is the easiest way to open. Tried weed wacker line no luck. Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This should have just been titled "Clearing Drains". I generally just snake it with something like a wire hanger or wire snake. Weed wacker line is way too flexible.
  3. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Well, You can do what I used to do, although I'm going to get some flack from this I'm sure....one of my regulators on my SCUBA gear went bad, so I cut the part that goes into your mouth off, and kept the rest. When I had a drain, toilet, etc. get clogged, I'd just stuff the hose in as far as it would go, and crack the valve for about two seconds...worked every time! Just a thought.
  4. autowerks

autowerks Member

Flexible plastic water hose. Your clog is probably pretty far down the lane. It should drain out the starboard side about midship. I usually hop on my dinghy and shove the hose upwards. Be careful once it clears it will gush out and ruin your day
  5. NVeroske

NVeroske New Member

Clearing drain

I found a wire fish at (I think) Harbor Freight. 50' long with a end loop through which you can insert a small rag, or not. The end loop is attached via a semi-flexible spring allowing it to negotiate 90 degree curves. The fish is plastic coated and about 1/8" diameter. I had a clog in my holding tank vent and ran about 20' of it into clear out the clog, then was able to flush with water. Also at Harbor Freight I found commercial grade aluminum locking suction cups, about 6" diameter cups. I was able to connect these to my hull while at anchor, tie the dinghy to them, then use a suction plunger to work a sink drain open.