Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Plastic repair?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by CTdave, Jan 10, 2011.

1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

With the collective know how on this forum, I'm sure someone will solve this quickly.

I have a bunch (10) of 1 year old Body Glove foam sleds with a fairly heavy gauge flexible plastic bottoms. The **** things cost about $50 a piece.
    Last year, the kids & their friends went & ran over a bunch of rocks which made quite a few cuts in the plastic. All they do now is dig up the snow instead of sliding over it.
    I'm thinking a quick fix would be to get some sort of plastic sheething, coat the bottoms with a thin layer of something like 5200, stick the new plastic on & trim the edges when it dries.

Any ideas on a plastic product? Each piece would be 24" x48".
    The plastic would have to be more rigid/heavy than say....shrink wrap but
    more flexible than thin plexi glass. I'd say something like the plastic on a common office garbage can.
    This should be a 10 minute proceidure if I can come up with a Home Depot cheap plastic something that can be used.
    Oh! (light bulb!):) How about something like EZ2CY or strata-glass? Expensive but it gives you an idea

Attached Files:

• sled.jpg
      sled.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

3M makes an assortment of adhesive films, ranging in thickness from a few mils to over 1/8". It's very inexpensive, very sticky and the applications are endless. In another life, we used rolls of this stuff to protect proof of concept boats during transport.

Here's a link to some eBay retailers selling various films...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/130443...fc190d0&itemid=130443021074&ff4=263602_304662

Most of these films are made of soft durometer polyurethane in order to be pliable around compound curves, which means they will present a certain amount of drag for your application. A harder durometer plastic is what you need, such as styrene. There are plenty of suppliers selling sheets in various thicknesses that can be laminated with off the shelf adhesives. Then trim to size.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It also has to withstand the rocks.:rolleyes: ) Off the top of my head i'm thinking lawn edging. It could be cut to length and laid in strips.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If your looking for something to withstand abrasion, such as rocks or gravel, then look into sheets of nylon. Better yet, Delrin has self-lubricating properties, but it's typically more rigid. Nylon should prove more pliable.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What if you fill in the holes with an epoxy and just shape it to the rest of the board with a plastic spreader (a flexible almost like a putty knife that they use in body shops and such)? pc-11 has a plasticy consistency when it's dry. Marine-tex would also work well. You could also use something like featherfill or bondo. Another option are the inflatable boat patches possibly, but I think they're too thick.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

8. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

:p I knew you guys would come up with a few ideas fast!:cool:

Here I am worrying about a few hundred bucks of sleds when I piss away thousands on junk for the boat LOL!

The plastic film is a great idea. Filling the cuts did come to mind but now is back on the idea board.
    I don't have to worry about the rocks this year. I cleared the hillside over the summer so it's all grass under the snow now.

ok, next up...... How do I make my wife do things that she wont?
  9. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

You can buy the self adhesive plastic sheet at Home Depot or Lowes. Its used as a carpet protection film when working. Look in the paint section. Just stick it to the bottom. when it gets torn up rip it off and stick another sheet on there.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Under the snow it's ice. Might as well be rock. I just finished chopping through about 50' of it so I can get my lawn tractor to my wood pile.
    I doubt the carpet film will stick. I use it along the bottom of my bar-b-q where my dog insists on marking. It comes off easy from a smooth surface.
    As to the last problem, let me know if you find a solution. I've been searching a very long time and have come up empty.:D