Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

| Perini Navi | 88M | "Maltese Falcon" | 2006/23 |

Discussion in 'Perini Navi Yacht' started by hufloas, Jan 10, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Noticed your comment about tacking. It doesn't really seem like a good rig for going to weather, but then a gentleman never goes to weather. I am sure she is amazing off the wind.
  2. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

More photos for You all

Sailing photos for you all,

Garry, Yes she does go well upwind, (best is 38 apparent about 45 true) just through a tack is a bit slow, but getting better as we understand the best way to turn the rigs through the wind. In lighter winds we turn the main and mizzen first and back the fore to push the bow through the tack but in heavier wind we just power all three round at the same time (using one button)

Attached Files:

3. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

MF at night

The 'Falcon' at night
    Specially for Yachtluver

Attached Files:

4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Thanks alot for your wonderful pics Mr. White...makes me jealous of the Falcon. Have you all tried the uplights with the sheets unfurled...that must look stunning.
  5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

That would be the 'twist' in the apparent wind that occurs as one gets higher in the rig and the wind gradient gets more robust. Ideally one might 'twist' the upper portions of the rig to more closely match the different wind directions resulting from the wind gradient bottom to top or vice-versa, but that would add a lot of additional complication to a fairly mechanized rig already.
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showpost.php?p=22367&postcount=47

Note the sheeting angles for the sails on the three different mast are also different....a result of the 'slot effect' between the sails. There is a number of discussions of these effects at "Sail Aerodynamics" http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=457
    ....the most forward sails are the most productive at providing forward drive, and aft sails assist the forward sails to point higher
  6. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

Latest news

Well the Monacoshow is just finished so here is an update.
    We had a great show, I met many people I had not seen for a while, the MF signed up a few charters for winter in the carib and summer back in the med next year. and there was some good parties.
    Everyone was raving about MF, it was very good to hear. I even managed to get to the top of M5's mast to take photos, now that is a very big mast!!
    Sunday we had a little day sail with M5, very entertaining and it showed that both yachts are better at certain angles but MF is probably faster overall as we have no restrictions on heel angle and a longer waterline length helps a lot!!
    We are now between Monaco and Mallorca, south of the gulf of Lyon, looking for wind to try to beat our record.
    We found it, outside it is blowing 40Kts plus, a full blown Mistral. Unfortunately with huge 6m swells so we cannot fly too fast and have reefed down to one sail. Still we are doing 13 Kts very comfortably and should arrive in Menorca in about 6 hrs.
    See you all out there
    Regards Jed

Attached Files:

7. Mirabella V

Mirabella V New Member

MV vs MF....good times!!

Jed...That was fun. I wish you guys had been around in the afternoon when the helicopter was out. They shot in HD and the pictures are amazing. I believe it will be on Discovery Channel in December.

Tom wrote some nice things, and my dad was truly impressed by what he saw and will write back when he gets back to USA.

I agree that waterline length means that we won't beat you in decent wind. Our big MPS was out of commission, but will be back soon, and so I am sure that in slightly less wind we would give you a good run, but maybe less fun.

On that one run we did together I think we were holding well, so I think slightly upwind is still our only shot. When you bore off we could see you accelerate. I also think that your upwind will improve when your keel is sorted.

To all readers I have to tell you that the sail handling on MF is simply amazing, and if you can get over the aesthetic issue with the look of it (if you have one) then you are quickly won over by its usability and function.

We have some great pictures of you, and as soon as I can cut them down to a reasonable display size I will post them. A little more sun would have made them even better, but the sailing was great.

Have a safe journey.....Joe
  8. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Wow!! What an amazing shot! You are a brave man Jed, that is one tall stick. Don't rock the boat.
  9. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Congrats gents! I SO wish I could have been there...

Jed, I'm glad to see MF receiving the kind of coverage this magnificent build deserves. Short of speaking with you first hand on the technical details, I think B.I. provided good coverage.

Joe, we're not letting you off the hook either. As always, kudos to you and Mirabella V. But appreciation isn't enough. I'd like to take this another step...

When I covered Athena, a year after her launch, I knew full-well that Royal Huisman didn't recognize our medium and the coverage we provided would not be reciprocated. The same would also hold true with Perini or Vosper.

It takes a considerable amount of work to produce good features, but I can’t imagine having the honor of you guys as participating members… and not having your boats featured here. Sooo… what are the chances you guys could get the complete image suites to me? :)

BTW... I've moved this thread back into the General Yachting Discussion. When threads lay dormant, I move them under titles that are more specific, such as the Sailing Forum, where it's easier for newcomers to find their subject of interest. Sorry for any confusion on the thread location!
  10. YachtForum

One last thing, Jed. I requested images from Perini about two months ago, but I never heard back. The request was sent to Sara Gioanola in marketing.

Like I said, RH & Perini have been a little slow to embrace the medium, so YF (or the internet) isn't a priority. Thankfully, the rest of the industry is ahead of the curve...

If you guys want to do this (I know, it's a pain)... we'll need images, specs & build sheets! Also, would GREATLY appreciate you guys making a bullet list of fine points that we can shape the editorial around.

If nothing else, it should prove entertaining... powerboat guys writing about sailboats they've never been onboard. :D :rolleyes:
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Next step... resolve that short-coming. :D

Seriously, count me among those that would love to see a feature of each of these great yachts!
  12. burak sozer

burak sozer New Member

I wouldnt beleive the numbers they say, they add VAT %18 + journalist tax :D

Turkish yacht building quality has rised a lot lately. High quality materials and labour is not cheap.
  13. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

14. TRY

TRY Senior Member

racing the falcon through the crowd

must have been a scary experience at the wheel with literally hundreds of smaller (of course) motor- and sailing yachts veeeery closeby.
    Pic taken yesterday Sun Oct1 - bay of Saint Tropezat the annual gathering "Les Voiles de St Tropez"

Attached Files:

15. brian eiland

Slot Effect Aerodynamics

In the photo above at posting #117, note the sheeting angle of the sails on the forward most mast compared with the trailing ones
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/32398-post117.html

Attached Files:

16. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

29 degrees of heel

1250 tonnes, 14 Kts speed 25 ts wind and 29 degrees of heel, who says you can't dip the rail on a big yacht!!!

Attached Files:

17. TRY

TRY Senior Member

To be confirmed

by the crew of the Falcon, but it seemed to me that the sails on the three masts were set to form an arch.
    On that time there was a SSW breeze in the bay of St Tropez, with the Falcon going something like a 230 course (is that correct Falcon?) and so the arch-setting made good sense.
  18. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

This photo gets my vote for "photo of the year" ... no doubt!:eek:
  19. brian eiland

Rail dipping on that big a boat is impressive.
  20. YachtForum

Ditto! :cool: