Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

Pelorus Bunker Disaster

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by techmati, Aug 7, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. techmati

techmati Senior Member

Pelorus is today reported to have bunkered in Malta with the wrong grade of fuel. The yacht was there 19-26/Jul/05 and then was reported to have gone to Sardinia to meet the family for their vacation. The yacht was delayed in Malta for several days following the bunkering while the problem was being resolved.

Various sources are quoting big repair costs for the damages. I am wondering if that is the case, She would not have proceeded to Sardinia if there was serious damages to the machinery. She would have proceeded direct to a shipyard.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Wouldn't someone in the crew be checking the fueling operation as it was going on?
  3. techmati

techmati Senior Member

there is not enough information about the incident to form an opinion. Generally fuel should be tested to see that it meets the right specification. There is possibility to use on board test kits to give an idea. Commonly the new bunkers are kept in separate tanks and not consumed before samples have been taken, sent off to a lab and the test results received back showing that the fuel meets the specification required. of course care has to be taken with sampling also, that you are sampling the fuel that you will burn and not a perfect bogus sample presented to you by the bunker supplier.

i have seen commercial ships delayed for weeks for repairs to engine damages from bad bunkers. care must be taken.
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

It will be interesting to find out what happened and what damage, if any, the Wartsila power plants have sustained.
  5. techmati

techmati Senior Member

yeh i doubt we will get great info about the incident. if she proceeds soon to a yard then we will know it is bad but since she went straight to sardinia it looks under control. From the interviews in the press the Maltese sound worried. Good business for the mega yachts to stop off for bunkers/stores etc. one high profile incident and they get a bad name. It is a pity cos bunker problems should be expected anywhere, if you keep this in mind and take necessary steps you will be ok.

Front page in the Sunday Telegraph newspaper Jeez........
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

7. techmati

techmati Senior Member

shipping is funny, brings the good days and the bad days. Friday evening we had to deal with a bulk cargo with 42tons missing. ship was arrested and looking to stay there until monday. After we paid euro 6000 in cash the ship was released around 20:30. my dinner was burnt although the liquid dinner survived :D i am sure Mr. Cardona will get new business in the future. if he didnt screw up then it is all in the good and bad luck of shipping.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  8. tom dornhofer

tom dornhofer New Member

I didn't see this thread before posting mine about Land's End. Pelorus is now docked in Antibes