Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Panda Generator, water not getting past heat exchanger

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Woolard, May 13, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Woolard

Woolard New Member

Detected no water flow at this spring startup, an a lot of smoke at startup. Changed the impeller, which seemed to be ok. Still no flow. Any easier ways to remedy this without having to remove the exchanger?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pending how old your model is, The older FP's used raw water to cool the synchronous generator case,, before the H/E.
    The aluminum raw water junction block/connect at the case, would corrode internally and restrict raw water flow.
    Then water trash and old impeller bits would clog this up completely.
    Break your raw water path down and test all paths starting at the raw water pump thru the system.
    If you find this is your issue try dock water pressure in BACKWARDS flow to start clearing. and let us know.
    Then we pull out the next game plans.
    Woolard likes this.
  3. Woolard

Woolard New Member

Thanks Capt., I appreciate the insight. Its a 2003 and has a 3 cylinder Kubota motor. We backflushed my brothers Searay in a similar situation and it worked.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lil Kubota engines are great.

Yours may have the electric governor and spins at 3600 RPM.
    Once you get your cooling issue resolved, may I offer some extra advice;
    Change oil often, oil labs every 2ed or 3rd oil change (less frequent if labs come back good), full synthetic motor oil.

Not a fault of the engine requires these extra measures, it's that high operating RPM that sends a shiver down my back like fingernails on a chalkboard.
    Woolard likes this.