Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

Owner/ Operator opinion?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Scott Felstad, Feb 17, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Scott Felstad

Scott Felstad Member

Was having a discussion with fellow captains/boaters regarding "what % of yacht owners captain their own vessel over 50 feet?" What do you all think as there are several experienced and very knowledgeable captains here? Just curious.......
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I don’t know obviously but I do think the bell curve begins a steep rise after 70’.
    SeaLion and captainwjm like this.
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yeah, I too would guess the rise would start changing at 70' or so.

FWIW, I don't know anyone who hires a captain routinely to run a 50' boat. Depends on the boat, of course, and the owner's experience, but after a training period I'd guess most 50-60' boats can be owner-operated easily enough... assuming family crew when appropriate... as for boats that don't lend themselves toward single-handing.

-Chris
  4. Scott Felstad

Scott Felstad Member

Makes good sense. A fellow Captain commented that roughly only 25% of owners of vessels 50 ft or more run their own boat. Thought that was low actually. Have noticed several yachts here of 50-55 ft only captain operated. Was curious what some of you alumni captains thoughts were......
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Under 60 it will be pretty rare for owners not run their own boats except for occasional long trips or parties when the owner what to enjoy the fun.

And anything under 60/65 is going to be a bit cramped to have a captain.

above 60, say up to 80 I d say half the boats will still be owner operated. Above that it will be pretty rare. I know a retired couple who cruise a 96 Lazzara on their own and spend months in the Bahamas. He is very experienced though and considers maintaining his boat therapy.

some boats are very easy for a couple to run, or even to single hand when needed. It all depends on the layout.

The benefits of a bigger boat for an owner operator is that maintenance is a lot easier since you have larger engine rooms and more space. That is a critical element most buyer overlook. For instance going to the ER to replace water maker filters or do an oil change on a gen can be a nightmare if you have to crawl in or (almost) a pleasant experience if you can walk in the ER
  6. Scott Felstad

Scott Felstad Member

Great points. Well said, Pascal.
  7. abfish

abfish New Member

For sportfish boats in my area, it's pretty common to have a paid captain for boats over 55 ft, but honestly I think it's more to do with the finances of the owner than the size of the boat. Guys with big bucks buy the 55 ft. and up sportfishers to tournament fish and a full-time captain can be a big advantage when you're fishing for money.

Not to mention, running a sporty from the flybridge for many hours can be a lonely gig. Lots of owners would rather socialize with guests than be stuck on the bridge. My dock neighbor owns a 46 Merritt and the paid captain is at the helm 80 percent of the time.
    Pizzazz7, Scott Felstad and Rerm like this.
  8. wiredup

wiredup Member

All very true. I am an enigma as an owner/operator of my 62' Viking. I grew up fishing, mated for my dad, and love running the boat while offshore. But, as I am getting older, I am starting to see some benefits of hiring a captain as to enjoy life on the mezzanine, lol. When I do get over it, I will probably just move on to more of a hybrid cruiser, as I just have a hard time having other people run my boats.
    ZacSc likes this.
  9. Scott Felstad

Scott Felstad Member

Makes perfect sense, WiredUp. Really enjoy running my own vessel and have had great times when hiring a captain, also. Pros and cons, for sure. Appreciate your feedback very much.
    wiredup likes this.
  10. classic

classic Member

I thought it was a requirement to have a cert captain on a boat more than 70 Ft Insurance;) etc ...
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

For pleasure, that depends on your insurance underwriter.
    With paying passengers on board, required.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I know owners who run their own 70…80… even one with 94 footer. Underwriters care more about experience than a piece of paper.

in the US there are no regulations mandating a license.
  13. classic

classic Member

I can see with charters for sure that's interesting. i heard this at a conference years ago with the insurance firms round table discussions.
  14. ZacSc

ZacSc New Member

Yes, indeed. When someone else is running the boat and you have no experience, that's one issue. And if you have experience and someone else is running your boat, that's another issue. When I travel in the passenger seat of a car, I have a lot of questions for the driver because I have a driver's license. Sometimes I can't help myself from commenting :)
  15. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

I self Cap’n my 54’ flybridge M/Y; but year 1 had a Cap’n with me for first 7trips/80 hrs …I ran the boat , but he was over my shoulder. I’m on year 6, have been to Bahamas, Keys, through Okochobee, up ICW to Nantucket. We are pals and I generally take him when it’s my first time anywhere he’s been a lot - like first time crossing Gulf Stream and learning how to check into Bahamas, or long legs like Cape May- NYC…..

I earned my 6-Pack and have a Yacht Controller which really helps me single hand with my wife or pals throwing ropes to dock hands.
  16. Sarnico

Sarnico New Member

Owner of a 58 private use only here - my 5p worth: on a vessel below 70ft I think there is just not enough space to have a crew from a living perspective. For me it would interfere too much with family life. Upside is that in cruise it can be quite lonely at the helm.
    motoryachtlover likes this.
  17. Scott Felstad

Scott Felstad Member

Almost identical set up, KoffeeCruising. Share your same sentiments, Captain. Job well done.
    Sarnico likes this.
  18. CWV

CWV Member

Owner operator here. I sub out most items and I also value keeping my knowledge level up so that when I’m far from home port, I’m self-sufficient in a pinch. Do I enjoy washing the boat? Meh. Sometimes?
    Sarnico likes this.
  19. JadePanama

JadePanama Member

I think it's also dependent on location. I am in Seattle. I run/own an 80'. I am pretty familiar with a large % of the vessels in the 70-85' range in the area, and I can't think of a single one that is not operated by its owner. Now, once we get to 90' I know a handful of owner/operators, but vast majority are hired captains.
  20. Scott Felstad

Scott Felstad Member