Privacy Matters Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Ocean 40 leaking thru hull forward bilge

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Rainmaker$, Feb 26, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rainmaker$

Rainmaker$ New Member

Need help and info…. I have a through hull fitting that has been seeping water into the forward bilge for some time now.
    The pump pumps it out every day but I was wondering if the seeping has made the hull/ keel area saturated and adding weight to the boat .?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

How is the hull built? Cored?if so Balsa or foam?

If solid glass or foam cored you don’t have much to worry about in the near term but if the hull is balsa cored, the balsa will rot and you will get delamination. The longer you wait the worst it will be.
  3. Rainmaker$

Rainmaker$ New Member

I believe all Oceans in 2004 were solid fiberglass, it has had this slow leak since I purchased the boat over two years ago and I’ve had the boat pulled and blocked …. There has been no delamination . I also have a diver that scrubs the bottom every month and there has never been an issue .
    I confirmed this morning that the through hull fittings are staying dry after I pump water out so now I’m not sure where it’s coming from !
    It’s in the forward bilge close to the head but I tested the water and it’s definitely salt water .
  4. 45SS

45SS Member

Is your head fresh water or salt? Any other through hulls in the boat that would allow a leak to run to that area of the bilge?
  5. Rainmaker$

Rainmaker$ New Member

Head is fresh water , have checked all thru hulls and all are dry… going to check all hose fittings in that bilge as well as the shower drain line today but seriously doubt that’s the cause of the slow leak.
    My biggest concern was if the bottom of the boat/ keel was holding water .. thus adding weight but based on research the hull of the 40 ft ocean is solid fiberglass .
  6. alvareza

alvareza Member

I believe all Oceans drain forward when at rest. The water could be leaking in from the engine room or from fish boxes to the bilge then forward.
  7. Rainmaker$

Rainmaker$ New Member

Need some help on my 2004 Ocean Yachts 40 SS

boat has the original Cat 3126 engines and gear boxes …. Can’t read info on gear box plates and I need to know the gear ratios…. ???

thanks in advance to anyone that can help !!
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pick up a cheap hand-held photo tach. Always good to have anytime already.
    In gear, read the crank (at the harmonic balancer) and shaft (at the flange coupler).
    Some math and you will have it.

Bet a beer near 2.5;1
  9. Rainmaker$

Rainmaker$ New Member

Thanks Captain! That’s a bit beyond my skill set … but I’ll give it a try …. Unless someone knows for sure !
  10. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Also called a strobe light.
  11. Oceanyachts40

Oceanyachts40 New Member

12. Oceanyachts40

Oceanyachts40 New Member

I have a 1999 40 found water from anchor safety line water running down it and into bilge .