Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Not exciting but necessary

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by motoryachtlover, Feb 26, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Adding autopilot, a chart plotter, and star link. I really like the electronics company and had them go all through my helm wiring and clean everything up. We pulled all unnecessary wiring all the way back to the engine room or where have you. Pulled out a large trash bag of unneeded wiring. Cleaned and labeled wiring and replaced flybridge breaker panel and some old bus bars. Very glad to get this done.

Attached Files:

bayoubud, leeky, MM3 and 3 others like this.
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

It’s amazing how much old, unused wiring collects on a boat. Looks like a big improvement. Please let us know how you like the STARLINK. I’m getting ready to order mine soon.

For your next upgrade I would suggest getting rid of those cheap crimp connectors you have on a bunch of that wiring. They are prone to issues. Replace with marine grade heat shrink connectors. The marine grade has heat activated adhesive in them.
    bayoubud and Paul S. like this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I only use heat shrink connectors even in dry locations

Which starlink did you install? Basic RV or In-Motion? We ve had the basic for about 6 months but about to upgrade to IM has the basic disconnects over 10kts or so
  4. motoryachtlover

All, I did notice the prevalence of those crimp connectors. I will see about that for during the next hurricane season when I am laid up. I have not had a chance to use the star link yet. Heading to the boat at the end of March. I got the in motion version. the yard were the boat is has terrible cell and the electronics guy used my starlink to call me from the yard and no drops. Thanks for the feedback.

Attached Files:

5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

With having STARLINK now will you get rid of the Tracvison or whatever system you have under that dome?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not to hy-jack this thread, but an idea;
    I often thought about gutting a dome and installing GPS antennas in there.
    Imagine in that pic (Post #4), all of that stuff on the for/stb corner of the hard top hidden in that dome.
  7. motoryachtlover

My wife likes TV a lot. So we are going to use the starlink during our annual Bahamas cruise and see how it does. My expectations are that we will be able to stream whatever TV or Netflix we want (to a reasonable degree). If that is the case at the end of the trip I am going to happily box all that Direct TV excrement in box and send it to them and cancel that. I despise Direct TV.
  8. motoryachtlover

I am reading that someone is experimenting with a dome over starlink. I think there is a question about excess heat building up in the dome at least with starlink. Have no idea if that is correct or not.
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

There's a number of people that are gutting the domes and putting the Starlink inside. The bigger ones will accept the standard SL base,
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I did exactly this. I have two small domes. I use one with GPS antenna inside.
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

You should be able to stream just about anything you want. I use Direct TV Stream at home and it works pretty good. I plan to do same with Starlink on the boat as soon as I install it.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The new SL in motion antenna is low profile so pretty much invisible on the roof.
  13. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I removed our TV dishes and put a Starlink Panel in each dome. We also have the power supplies and SL equipment in the domes. We've been in the southern Caribbean all winter, and haven't seen any heat issues.
    We're streaming all TV through various subscriptions Apps on AppleTV. I avoided DirectTV because they couldn't give me a straight answer about what equipment I would need (they were trying to sell me receiver boxes still), and opted for Hulu+
    We're very happy so far (since November).
  14. motoryachtlover

Electrician had time to change out some of the crimp connectors. The crimps were from Viking so this was overdue. I think i had a ticking time bomb between the crimps and corroded buss bars and fuse panel.

Attached Files:

15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, so much cleaner, less greener.

Before I get bombed from the left;
    Less green under the console is not political..
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yuck. That was nasty. Much better.

a few years ago I opened the 1970 vintage panel on my boat with the ER lights off. I could see little sparks where wires were moving. That’s when I realized it was time to build new panels!
  17. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Nice, I've done the same on most boats we've owned. Never like seeing dead-end wires that are just cut and left in place, especially wiring bundles not properly wrapped and routed. Being an ex- AF aircraft electrician that is just too sloppy for any electrical work.
    d_meister likes this.